The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Western Pleasure Bit help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/western-pleasure-bit-help-61621/)

horseluver50 08-06-2010 05:23 PM

Western Pleasure Bit help?

I am riding my horse with a low port shank western bit.
I want to buy a different bit that would refine her cues.
With the bit she is using now, my reins aren't loose because she doesn't bend her head properly unless she has a more firm contact.
I want to get a bit, where I can have a loose rein and she will feel a slight movement of my hand.

The old owners gave me the bit I have now just to start her with, and they said once I knew her better to move up to a different one.
When I tried her out, they had a different bit in her mouth, and she was great with just the slightest movement of my hand.

I think I need to get the same kind of bit, with a higher port?
If you would like to post links to bits, please do so, but my budget is about $40 for a bit.

Thanks so much!

**Also: I don't want a harsh bit that will hurt her mouth. I just want a bit that I barely have to pull up on the rein, because the one I use now is alot more uncomfortable for her, because I am constantly pulling on her mouth because she is stubborn***

horseluver50 08-06-2010 06:41 PM

Bump^^ I'm going shopping in a couple days, and any help would be excellent :)

Erin_And_Jasper 08-06-2010 07:36 PM

i use a correctional with rotating shanks. and a copper mouth. like this:
Milepost Stainless Steel Reining Horse Bit with Copper Bar Correction Mouth - 4007575 | Tractor Supply Company

vivache 08-06-2010 07:50 PM

Stops don't come from the bit, remember that. In fact, I rarely engage the rein when stopping anymore. And why are you pulling up to stop the horse? High hands = hollow horse.

Milepost Tom Thumb Horse Bit with Copper & Stainless Mouth - 4007452 | Tractor Supply Company <-- one of my favourite bits.

smrobs 08-06-2010 09:30 PM

Any other kind of bit than what you are using now would create more problems than it would solve. Quite a few WP riders use a long shanked cathedral port because it is a more harsh bit and you don't have to give as big a signal to get results, however, used improperly or in uneducated hands, you would have a horse that was bracy, hollow, and gaping their mouth.

The final result doesn't come from what you put on their head, it comes from what you put in their head.

Eliz 08-06-2010 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 711936)
The final result doesn't come from what you put on their head, it comes from what you put in their head.

OMG, thank you! That is pretty much my motto :)
I'm totally using that as my signature if you don't mind ;)

Try training her with your seat/legs. Then you won't have to TOUCH her mouth/head.

horseluver50 08-07-2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Amanda/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Amanda/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Amanda/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]Stops don't come from the bit, remember that. In fact, I rarely engage the rein when stopping anymore. And why are you pulling up to stop the horse? High hands = hollow horse.

Milepost Tom Thumb Horse Bit with Copper & Stainless Mouth - 4007452 | Tractor Supply Company <-- one of my favourite bits.
Oh no! I must have not have made it clear. I don't pull on her to stop, she gets loose rein to stop. What I mean is, when I am getting her to balance and carry herself, she needs a bend in her head, and she wont do it with a loose rein, and it doesn't work very well when the rein is tight, because she can't bend properly.
I need a bit that she can feel it on a loose rein and bend without me pulling on her mouth to get her to bend.
(kindof hard to explain :S)

Quote:

Any other kind of bit than what you are using now would create more problems than it would solve. Quite a few WP riders use a long shanked cathedral port because it is a more harsh bit and you don't have to give as big a signal to get results, however, used improperly or in uneducated hands, you would have a horse that was bracy, hollow, and gaping their mouth.

Thanks, I want a bit that she will feel with the slightest movement of my fingers and respond to me.
She would enjoy it so much more, because I wont have to give her huge half halts all the time trying to make her bend. She will only need little ones, and that way won't stress her mouth out more.

I would be using a hackamore, but they are not allowed in western pleasure shows, and I have a couple in a month's time.

horseluver50 08-07-2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Try training her with your seat/legs. Then you won't have to TOUCH her mouth/head.
How do I get her balanced and bending without her head?

horseluver50 08-07-2010 12:51 AM

Also, I looked at the bit you posted smrobs, and that is too harsh for me. The bit I have now, has a really low port, I want something maybe medium port or so.
Thanks!

smrobs 08-07-2010 02:39 PM

The only thing is that if you are having to pull on her mouth to get her to give, then a different bit won't change that. You will still have to pull on her mouth, it just wouldn't feel quite as much of a pull to you. She would still have to have the same amount of pressure.