The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Help with sliding (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/help-sliding-61643/)

Waybueno 08-06-2010 09:31 PM

Help with sliding

Okay so I know how to ask a horse for a sliding stop and my horse is trained pretty darn well in reining so he knows the sliding stop.

BUT heres my issue. My horse has had 3 owners, his trainer and breeder, my roomate and now me. My roomate got him from our trainer and proceeded to slide stop him every day multiple times around the arena without skid boots.

She also blew him up on barrels and really messed him up in the head.
When I got him from her there was no such thing as a lope or a slow trot or even a slow speed. It took me months and months of reining patterns and just slow work to get him back to where he is. He will do a perfect reining pattern anytime I ask this of him.....
........except the sliding stop.

Because she never wore skid boots on him im assuming he got burnt and is now terrified of this. When I ask him to do it now (with skid boots) he tucks under and slides alittle then hops and slides some more. Kinda like he really wants to do it then gets scared.

I'v heard sometimes horses will never do it again after they've been burnt and im assuming he got it pretty bad more than a couple times. She used to take him in the arena and just run him around sliding him in a 2inch deep sand arena, with a hard base. It wasnt nice ground to say the least.

I dont plan on doing any major reining competitions with him. But theres alot of little shows here and there and iv won a few of them even though he has a funky stop.

If I can fix the stop I might want to go to a few serious showings with him, he does have points in reining and im gonna try and get in contact with his trainer here pretty soon.

Sooooo yeah any tips you guys? :[

nrhareiner 08-06-2010 10:00 PM

First STOP running the patterns. You should never run a full pattern at home or anytime in practice. Only when you are actually showing.

Next once you stop running patterns and start just working on the individual patterns you can work on fixing the problem. There are many ways to fix this problem and depending on what exactly the horse is doing will predict what you need to do.

What it sounds like is he is dumping his front end. He may also be weak in the rear making it hard for him to hold the stop.

I had a horse who would at times hope out if his stops. I find that one big things is they do not drive under themselves very well. You need to keep pushing them forward and keep them collecting up. Then just ask for the stop do not think about change it up and just ask. Then stand there for at least 2 min. This is anouther big problem I see with getting a good stop. People do not let the horse stand long enough after the stop. Even if you stop and back then just stand.

Waybueno 08-06-2010 10:08 PM

I never RUN patterns I was using that as an example that he will if asked, I never go more than a fast lope in the arena im riding in right now. And in my arena iv never done a whole reining pattern. I make my own exercise to do with him and I only work on so much in a day. I understand what your saying but he does tuck his butt down and I ride him pretty good each day, so I would hope his hind end is strong enough, but maybe not. After I stop him though I back him up one or two steps then stand, is that to much?

I dont think he is driving under himself well but it really feels like he wants to then he second guess's himself and hops, ill try what you suggested tomorrow and see what he does. :]

Waybueno 08-06-2010 10:12 PM

O also the only thing I ride him in is a snaffle unless showing. I was told this is no good? And I should only use a snaffle on a horse that is just starting, or is young. That doesnt sound right to me, what would your opinion be on that?

nrhareiner 08-06-2010 11:18 PM

Once my horses are well started and neck reining I rarely go back to a snaffle. Some horses like to work off a shanked bit. I know most of mine do.

Also since he knows how to stop work on some fencing too. This might or might not help but if you keep pushing him to the fence and the stop it will make him use his rear. which is what it sounds like what he is not doing.

You might also want to see if their is a trainer in your area to give you a hand getting the horse working correctly. Once they start picking up bad habits it is hard to get it corrected.

Waybueno 08-07-2010 12:14 AM

There is a trainer in my area that trained him with his wife he's about a two hour drive away when I have the money im going to take lessons from him again hopefully, if not theres another lady in my area. He seems to like working in a snaffle and he has such a soft mouth that he responds really nicely in them.

I havent worked on fencing in awhile so ill start doing that alittle here and there for sure. I just found the ranch my horse originally came from I guess he has had four owners, I looked at his papers and it says he came from here and he has their brand.

Sterling Ranch USA

Do you know anything about this ranch? orry if im asking to many questions lol feel free to tell me to shut it anytime.

Thanks for your tips and help by the way. Its greatly appreciated.

nrhareiner 08-07-2010 12:24 AM

Yes I know the ranch and the owners. Nice people. They are from Germany I think. Can not remember off the top of my head but I think that is correct. Only been in the game a few years but have done well. Have some nice horses.

Waybueno 08-07-2010 12:27 AM

Okay thanks so much for all the help! :]

Okay one more question, whats a good way to start getting into reining? Iv taken lessons and toyed with it at shows but I think I really wanna get into it. Iv been a barrel racer for a long time but I enjoy how nice reining horses are and I think my favorite is working cow.

nrhareiner 08-07-2010 11:38 AM

Your best bet would be to find a trainer who does reining. If that is not possible find a person who actually shows reiners. See if they can get you going. AQHA and NRHA have rules that you can show a borrowed horse at lower levels so you can give it a try.

Waybueno 08-07-2010 12:37 PM

Alright thanks for all the help, I actually just got in contact with a lady that showed and trained him and she is willing to give me free lessons on him I guess she misses him alot. :]