The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   horse nervous on trails? (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/horse-nervous-trails-61663/)

CeasarsMom 08-07-2010 07:14 AM

horse nervous on trails?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,
I have a problem that maybe some of you can help me with. I have only owned my horse for a couple of months so Im still getting little surprises here and there like the fact that he doesnt like to load on a little two horse trailer but will load on a stock trailer fine, or that he really doesnt apprieate horse sticking there noses out to nudge him when hes being groomed:twisted: lol. But the most surprising thing Ive found is he is a total MONSTER on the trails!!! I will explain the monster part in a bit.....let me give you details as how he is riding in the ring . in the ring he is as SLOW and LAIDBACK as possible! I never have any problems riding him in the ring or even around the farm, BUT...and here comes the monster part :twisted: out on the trail I have to hold him back BIGTIME!!!! Hes a Beast!! he does the what I like to call the jiggy jag the entire time. He doesnt spook at anything went right thru water,up and down hills through the thick woods with branches hanging done,over down trees pass junk piles etc...he never blinked an eye at all of that stuff. He just prances the entire time and after awhile doing the jiggy jag gets pretty annoying :shock:

So my question is do you think he just needs more miles of trailriding underhim till he settles down or will he ever settle down? is the anything I can do to make him relax ? when I bought him they told me he was good on trails but it was the middle of winter with about 3 feet of snow on the ground so i didnt get to test him out trailriding only in the ring.

Sorry for the long post hope everyone can understand it ok:D

gonna try to post a pic of my boy but im new at this so hopefully it works:wink:

franknbeans 08-07-2010 07:29 AM

Are you out on the trails alone or with a buddy? Obviously, if alone, then the issue could well be buddy sour/barn sour.

CeasarsMom 08-07-2010 07:33 AM

sorry forgot to mention I was out with 3 other horse and riders and the other horses were as calm as can be:?

ilyTango 08-07-2010 09:30 AM

He might just be excited to be out doing what he loves. Get some more trail riding into him, he'll probably settle down.

MyBoyPuck 08-08-2010 04:12 PM

Yeah, sounds like some more mileage will help. Just remember when you are working him in the ring and he plays the lazy card that he's putting you on!!