The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   My Reining prospect? (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/my-reining-prospect-61684/)

addictedtoreining 08-07-2010 02:06 PM

My Reining prospect?

9 Attachment(s)
Well I have a yearling colt that is 1 year and a half right now in pictures. I have my fingers crossed that he will be a futurity prospect. However I would like to get some other opinions on what ya'll think.

About him.
sire = Jacs eletric spark
Dam = mahogany's first step (wimpys little step x custom mahogany)

He is the best minded horse i have ever been around. He knows all the ground work (spinning, side passings, driving with halter, back with head touching chest and etc). And he never faught me at all.

The only thing that concerns me is his back feet turn out at the bottom (cow hock?)... farrier and everyone said no big deal... However, right now he is a stud, and there is no reason to keep him a stud if a flaw somewhere and etc. Still early, but just thinking..

Here are some pictures.

mliponoga 08-07-2010 02:13 PM

Wow, that is one big 1.5 year old! He's going to be one big boy!!

Waybueno 08-07-2010 02:16 PM

Aw he reminds me of my horse :]
He's a gorgeous boy love the darker palomino
He has a really nice build a bit of a buff boy.
I dont think his back feet will get in the way as far as showing.
I dont know much about breeding so I cant say if thats gonna hold him back as a stud or not.
:D

addictedtoreining 08-07-2010 02:52 PM

Everyone keeps saying he is big... He sire was probably 15 hands and dam around 14.2 or less...

But he is going to be stocky.... The only thing I am worried about is his back legs.... We will see. Researching on the interent they don't look that bad...

nrhareiner 08-07-2010 03:47 PM

That is fairly typical of reiners. From the pictures he does not look bad in the rear at all. I did notice that one if his fronts looked like it turned out a bit but could just be the way he is standing too.

Over all he looks good. The JES seem to be doing really well. Time will tell if WLS is a broodmare sire or not.

addictedtoreining 08-08-2010 03:25 PM

Anyone else had any JES reiners? Curious to see what they thought about theirs? Right now I have very high hopes. HOwever never know until I can get on his back.. another 5 to 6 months away from that.

nrhareiner 08-08-2010 03:32 PM

Lets put it this way. A very good friend of mine who has been in reining for over 45 years is very high and recommends JES. She has several clients this year who bred mares to him. The ones I have seen have been very nice. 3 in the top of the Derby this year. Just can not remember what level. Would have to go back and look but seems like it was the Non Pro which I really like.

addictedtoreining 08-08-2010 04:57 PM

The 3 that made the final were in level 4 open. One did ok in the level 1,2 and primetime nonpro.. What I have seen is that the 4 or 5 JES that enter the big shows usually make the finals or barely miss. So they seem to be extremely consistent like JES himself (made finals in furturity, all 3 derbys and NRBCs)...

Very excited... we like the mix with a WLS/custom mahagony to hopefully add a little atheticism. Time will tell.

NRHA reiner - training - we have been working on keeping my wifes show horse square while spinning.... Some time it is hard to tell when he drops his shoulder. Any hints? I will try to post a video of him spinning this evening... Alway good to look at to see what we need to work on.

nrhareiner 08-08-2010 06:02 PM

Try side passing into the spin. That will keep the shoulder up and get the rear into the correct position.

addictedtoreining 08-08-2010 06:16 PM

We do something similar to sidepassing.. We driving him foward and keep him square off of both legs... pushing the inside leg a little hard keeping that shoulder up... The release into the spin... However, we have a hard time telling when he drops his shoulder in the spin.... any hints?

To me if his back end is planted, then his shoulder should be up?