The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   brands? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/brands-6169/)

upnover 02-18-2008 01:00 AM

brands?

I've started working with a paint horse who has 2 sizable brands on both sides of his butt (the old fashion kind, not a freeze brand). They weren't done well and brands in general are just not that acceptable in the hunter/jumper world! Anyone have any ideas on how to make them less noticable? I'm thinking they aren't going to go away.... but does anyone think MTG or something might help at all?

Sara 02-18-2008 11:55 AM

Hooo...I can't think of anything, tbh. I seriously doubt MTG is going to grow hair on a brand.

AKPaintLover 02-18-2008 05:05 PM

Two of our horses were branded at one point. The brands on our 20 year old gelding are as present now as they ever were. I don't know if there is much you can do about it. I can't imagine that you will be marked negatively because of brands. A lot of stock type horses have been branded, and I am sure people will know that there is nothing you can do about it.

Harlee rides horses 02-18-2008 06:30 PM

I think brands are unable to be rid of.

Sara 02-18-2008 07:24 PM

Just tell them your horse is a renaissance man, I'm sure they'll understand :D

AKPaintLover 02-19-2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara
Just tell them your horse is a renaissance man, I'm sure they'll understand :D

That's great. :)

upnover 02-19-2008 09:00 PM

haha, maybe his show name should be Renaissance Man!

yeahhh.... I didn't think there was anything I could do about it! I thought I'd throw out that question though and see if anyone had some magic formula that worked for them. ;)

WildFeathers 02-28-2008 12:46 AM

Are they like bald spots or white spots? If they're white you could always color them :)

upnover 02-29-2008 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildFeathers
Are they like bald spots or white spots? If they're white you could always color them :)

Unfortunately they're the bald kind (hot brand)! I didn't think there was anything I could do about them but I thought I'd throw the question out there!

JustDressageIt 02-29-2008 01:02 AM

Hmm.. I had never thought about brands being detremental in the showing world.. what about branded Hanoverians?

My Holstein gelding had a freeze brand on his hip, it was A over lazy S, and I don't think it affected his scoring...