The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Woohoo! My confidence is back. (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/woohoo-my-confidence-back-61703/)

Mickey4793 08-07-2010 08:14 PM

Woohoo! My confidence is back.

Before I got my own horse, I took at least 20 falls off school horses relating to jumping, and went from jumping 3'3 to tensing up at 2'3. When I got my horse I took a fall off of him cross country and got a very bad concussion, then ditched jumping all together and stuck to dressage.

Well guess who's back into jumping :D!

It started when some low cross rails were set up in the smaller out door arena in a line. I was riding bareback and trotted through the line 5 or 6 times. I fell back in love.

Due to owning a dressage saddle I've been jumping bareback mostly, but I did do it in my dressage saddle today in my lesson. On Friday I jumped 2'6 bareback and it was amazing. Today I did a few fences between 2'3-2'6. It was great.

But I need advice on one thing. My horse is a big guy, he can trot up to a fence any size and jump it from a nice collected trot, it's so great. He also NEVER refuses any fence, he truly enjoys to jump. Our one problem comes from outside the trot, it comes when we pick up a canter.

When I canter my boy to a fence, it's almost like he over estimates the jump, he takes off REALLY early [which I go with fine cause I'm used to it, but it's a little scary] I would be fine just trotting him all the time but with combination fences or competitions it's nicer to canter. How can I teach him to collect a little more at the canter before the fence and put in one more stride before rocket launching over?

MyBoyPuck 08-08-2010 03:49 PM

First, congrats on getting your nerve back. I'm sure that's a great feeling for you.

As for your horse overjumping, does he have much jumping experience? It sounds like he just needs some exercises to polish his own form. Gymnastics are a great way to let him figure out the striding, spacing and amount of clearance he needs to jump. It helps them tighten everything up. There are tons of exercises. One simple on is a ground pole > 9' to a cross rail > 18' to a vertical. Your job is to stay out of his way and let him figure it out. You can play with the spacing a bit if his stride is on the shorter or longer side.

ErikaLynn 08-09-2010 01:56 PM

Congratulations!!! Especially jumping bareback...I've been jumping my whole life and get too scared to jump bareback. I think you should try gymnastics with your horse. Then trot the first jump and canter the rest...it will not only help with striding but help with him getting to pick up his feet. Also try cantering to all the jumps from now on instead of trotting that way you can get a better feel for where his spot is.

Oakley Eastern Miss 08-15-2010 02:56 PM

I found putting a pole on the ground a canter stride before the jump helped both me and my mare. I'm quite nervous when it comes to jumping so I found it helped me count my stride and get her to take-off at the right position.

Glad to hear you have got your confidence back though, I wish I could do the same!! :lol:

Mickey4793 08-21-2010 10:39 AM

I have yet to jump him with a pole in front of the jump I'm nervous he he'll take the pole as part of the jump and try to jump over everything at once xD I did set up a few poles on the ground yesterday and cantered through those then cantered a tiny cross rail and it went pretty well!