The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Cutting after banding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/cutting-after-banding-61731/)

PintoBean 08-08-2010 11:50 AM

Cutting after banding?

I was wondering, how do you go about cutting your horse's mane after you are done banding it? I have a show tomorrow and am banding my horse's mane tonight.

ilovesonya 08-08-2010 12:51 PM

I don't band, because I show english, but I guess you could. Although you would have a really choppy looking mane after you take the elastics out.

Amir 08-08-2010 10:10 PM

DONT CUT IT!!!
Sorry. It'll look really bad when you take it out and you could also cut it wonky and then end up cutting it too short.
After you've worked your horse just pull it a little shorter until you have it the length you want then band it. It will look nice and natural and it won't end up wonky when it's taken out.

sorelhorse 08-08-2010 11:08 PM

cut it. if your going to a decent show, cut it. it makes everything look better. dont try to make it look natural, just cut it left to right all the way a long the mane.

KANSAS_TWISTER 08-09-2010 02:24 AM

i'm on the fence about that, my daughter had a show aobut 2 weeks ago and we spent time banding luna's main.....step back and thought how owlful it made the horse look....(i've ridden and shown english for over 30 years ) so doing this was new to me....best thing to have is a pair of sheering scisors the ones with the teeth in them and cut horazontil to the main.

Alwaysbehind 08-09-2010 08:08 AM

Another vote for NOT cutting it.

sorelhorse 08-09-2010 12:14 PM

ok well heres the thing-if your doing any sort of paint, pinto, appy, qh horse show you really need to cut it. thats just like the unspoken rules.

Alwaysbehind 08-09-2010 12:18 PM

Maybe where you are. But not where I am. Have been to appy shows. Know someone who shows only appy shows. I think she would faint if I suggested she cut.

sorelhorse 08-09-2010 10:17 PM

well, it is at all the world shows, so maybe your friend only does local shows.

leonalee 08-09-2010 10:29 PM

Um - trimmed the long ends off of my mares mane at a show after braiding it. Took braids out, looked like the haircut I gave my barbie when I was 3 and found scissors near my play area. :/ I was able to trim it up and make it look more presentable loose.