The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   New to the forums - questions about Mares with foals! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/new-forums-questions-about-mares-foals-61761/)

karebear41486 08-08-2010 07:19 PM

New to the forums - questions about Mares with foals!

Hi everyone! Im new to the forums, so let me introduce myself! My name is Kari and I'm 24 years old. I have always had a desire to be around and eventually own horses, but I grew up in the city and finally live on a farm out in the country where it is now possible! My experience with horses is NOT as advanced as I wish it were, I have trail ridden at stables a handful of times and I am currently taking riding lessons to gain more confidence. I have been doing extensive reading and research regarding horses and their care--especially the more specialized care required of elderly horses because I think that I would like my first horse to be in it's late teens or early twenties. So, I have been looking at horses for sale and have come across a few very good possibilities. One in particular that I came across was a Missouri Fox Trotter Mare with her 2 month old filly as a package deal. This was enticing to me for a few reasons: I know that horses need at LEAST one other horse around to be happy, so this package deal would solve that. Secondly, I have been reading about Tennessee Walking Horses and Mo. Fox Trotters a lot and learned that they have extremely smooth gaits that are desirable for trail riding--which is mainly what I am interested in doing. SO, I guess my questions is, would this be a good choice for a first horse? To get a Mare with a 2 month old filly at her side? Do mares act differently/less desirably when they have babies with them? Also, they say that she is very well broke to ride and she is 19 years old, but is it probable that she was not ridden for the year that she was pregnant and would need refreshing making her a not so desirable beginner's horse? Thanks for any questions anyone can answer, and Im excited to read and learn a LOT from the forums!

Kari

Poco1220 08-08-2010 08:18 PM

If you are looking for an older quiet, easy to handle horse, a foal is the LAST thing you want. Foals should really only be dealt with by very experienced handlers. You would be dealing with extensive training, weaning, and so so much more!

Also be aware that alot of gaited breeds need to be trained for their gait or may need a rider who is knowledgeable in gaiting to keep them smooth. You're better off looking for a single horse from a reputable farm or simply a lease for a year or two.
Posted via Mobile Device

karebear41486 08-08-2010 09:07 PM

Thanks for the advice! I wasn't planning on riding or even training the foal any time soon, but was more concerned about the mare and how she would be as a riding horse since she is currently with her foal. Is it ok to just keep one horse?

payette 08-08-2010 09:15 PM

I would suggest finding a good trainer for both you and the foal- because there is a lot to teach a baby horse even at 2 months old. But, I wouldn't rule out getting a nice, gentle, well trained mare just because she has a baby. Could your riding instructor come look at the horses with you and offer opinions and advice as to their suitability?

karebear41486 08-08-2010 09:18 PM

Yeah! She actually told me that she would do that for me at my very first lesson, I was impressed and very grateful! :)

Poco1220 08-08-2010 10:00 PM

With the exception of one year of his life
my horse has always lived alone. He never seems unhappy though I make sure to give him plenty of extra attention. He has bonded extensively with humans due to being alone tho and even when with other horses will choose
people instead.
Posted via Mobile Device

cecillover 08-08-2010 10:51 PM

Well were you could look on is:Horsetopia - Horses for Sale and Horse Classifieds and minneapolis farm & garden classifieds "Horse" - craigslist ... i always use theese sites!