The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Tell me what I need to know (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/tell-me-what-i-need-know-6180/)

horsenaround 02-18-2008 05:05 PM

Tell me what I need to know

Please....This will be the first horse our family will own and I need to know what you all think I need to know.
What do I need. Dont get me wrong I know what I need..ish but I want to know what all you experienced people think I need. What are the basics? The must haves?
Also what do you all suggest I look for in purchasing our first horse? All we are looking for is a trail rider, we live on 10 acres with corral and stalls. I guess I am asking more for health wise suggestions, what do I look for? Trouble signs to look out for and so on.
I would really appreciate any tips and pointers you all can offer. I have waited 33 years to be in the position to do this and I want to make sure I do it right.
Thanks

appylover31803 02-18-2008 05:12 PM

http://horses.about.com/od/buyingyou...buyingfaqs.htm

I found this site quite helpful when i was looking for a horse.

kchfuller 02-18-2008 07:06 PM

id suggest a qh ... they are made to trail ride lol ... and then they can also carry a nice big western saddle that will be comfy ...

id also ride it a few times before you buy, like outside of the arena ... and strong feet, you don't want something with weak hooves that will get hurt or sore walking on ground that isn't soft sand :) hope that helps some!

Cheval 02-18-2008 11:30 PM

MUST HAVES:
- A paddock...please don't cram 10 horses in one acre! There is a rule for amount of acres per horse, so it's helpful to look that up. Also, NO BARB WIRE PLEASE!
- Shelter
- Feed: Hay, Grain, etc.
- Tack (if your planning on riding)
- Buckets
- Water Buckets

Arenas, a barn, etc. are always nice to have.

BUYING THE HORSE:

- If your looking for a trail horse, you can almost get anything. Quarter horses, Morgans, crosses, Mules, Drafts, Gaited Horses...they are all great trail horses. Most horses can be trail horses - it doesn't usally depend on the breed.
- If you are getting one horse and keeping it at your house, I strongly suggest getting a companion for him/her. You can get another horse/pony, donkey, goat, lama, etc. Horses will get depressed without a companion.
- Look for lameness (bobbing of the head, tripping, etc.) in the horse, also look for heat and swelling.
- Look at comformation...some horses can't go farther then their body will let them.
- Make sure the horse isn't drugged! It'll be pretty obvious, though.
- I suggest getting a vet exam before buying the horse.

Look up health problems, and how to deal with them.
Do you have a vet? Farrier?
Are you sure your ready for this huge commitment?

Good luck!
Are you ready for

horsenaround 02-19-2008 11:15 AM

Thank you all for your advice!
We have 10 acres and plan to get 2-4 horses and a goat. Most likely a got and a horse at the same time then add anothe rhorse when we are ready for it.
I will look up the horse to land ratio, it would be good to know.
We have a corral and a barn on one fenced acre and then pasture behind the corral (also fenced, no barbed wire) so we can open up the corral and let the horses and goat out to graze or just keep it open.
We have spoken to a few large animal vets in town so we know where they are however I am still talking to people to find out who they prefer. We know of a farrier in town however again since we have never owned a horse we have yet to use him.
I feel like we are prepared..on paper any way.
That is why I am here, to make sure we have all we need before we begin the search! Thanks again!

Ryle 02-19-2008 11:20 AM

As this is your first horse, be very sure to have a pre-purchase exam no matter what you intend to use him for. While the initial cost may seem high, it will be quite reasonable in the long run compared to buying a horse only to find out that he has problems which require constant medication or preclude use and resale.

Cheval 02-19-2008 08:42 PM

Great! To me, it sounds like your ready ( I don't know you in real life, but from what you've been saying here).

mlkarel2010 02-19-2008 08:46 PM

I found an amazing book from Western Horsemen called "First Horse" It's really great for first time horse owners and goes over everything from choosing a horse to taking care of it to even mteaching more advanced manuevers

My2Geldings 02-20-2008 06:20 AM

DO you have a trainer you can take with you? If you can find a trainer, even if its just for a temporary period of time until you have everything going smoothly, he/she can help you find the right horse for you, your riding level etc.

Vidaloco 02-20-2008 07:45 AM

Thats a very good suggestion. Try to find a horse savvy person to help you find a horse for your riding level. Don't go by looks and breeding alone. There are some great mixed breed horses out there. If you are fairly new to horses try to look in the 7+ yo range. I know its tempting to get a young horse but the older ones usually have a little more brain growth. You might check to see if there is anyone local giving lessons. I've never had them but my husband went (he never owned a horse) and the folks he went to are great friends now. You should check to see if there is a local saddle/trail club, go to some meetings and get involved with them. They are usually a wealth of information and its fun riding with a trail club. People who trail ride are friendly folks and love talking about their horses :lol: Always make an offer on any horse. Its like buying a car, there is always room for negotiation guess thats why they call it "horse trading". Good luck and have fun in your search for a horse.

Adding...buy the horse first then the saddle not the other way around. Saddle fit is very horse specific and the wrong fit can make for an unhappy horse.