The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Flies (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/flies-6181/)

oscarozark 02-18-2008 06:25 PM

Flies

What products are successfully used to control horse flies around the home and stables?

It's my understanding that chemicals don't work.

Has anyone used a fly trap tent (black ball, jar, netting)?

Any info would be great

kim_angel 02-19-2008 11:50 AM

at our boarding stable they use the fly predators and dung beetles.
Works wonders. Barely any flies as long as they keep up with the new batch of predators during the peak of fly season.

.Delete. 02-19-2008 11:59 AM

I use fly predetors. It works wonders

Deb 02-20-2008 06:32 AM

I just looked up fly predators and I kind of don't think they would work here. We have black flies and if your horse is white, you can see them on their faces when they are out in the pasture. The kind of flies that these predators are useful for are the ones that hang around the manure pile and barn. Last summer, our first few months here, we had no manure pile and the horses weren't kept in the barn so I am assuming that the millions (well it seemed like millions) of flies on their faces were coming from the woods and the stream down at the bottom of the pasture. So this year, I am going to do two things, barn during the heat of the day and LONG fringe on their fly masks

My2Geldings 02-20-2008 07:13 AM

Fly Sheets and LOADS of Bronco. I found thats the only thing that works really well here.

Vidaloco 02-20-2008 07:14 AM

I use fly predators too. Your right they won't do any good on flys being hatched off of your property. I would say you are on the right track with putting them in a shelter (the darker the better) and using fly sheets and masks.

brittx6x6 02-20-2008 04:28 PM

I use fly predators too

gomez 04-27-2008 11:19 AM

WD-40

I just read that WD-40 when sprayed on cows keeps flies away. Why not try it on your horses. The main ingredient is fish oil, it can't hurt.

PoptartShop 04-27-2008 01:05 PM

Fly predators & at times we use fly sheets. ;) They really help.