The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   training schedule? (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/training-schedule-61814/)

wren 08-09-2010 08:54 AM

training schedule?

Hey All!
Anyone have a good training schedule for a beginning eventing horse? Or know where to find one? My trainer sent me links to a couple forever ago and i seem to have lost them.
The one she sent was broken down into how many minutes of walk, trot, canter work as well as what days to do dressage vs jumping and all of that good stuff.
Thanks!

haleylvsshammy 08-10-2010 08:56 PM

Do you get Practical Horseman? I'll tell you 3 issues that have great articles regarding training.
1. March 2010 issue Jim Wofford goes over cross country schooling, what you should do your first 3 schoolings
2. November 2009 issue Jim Wofford talks about preparing for a classic, increasing endurance etc
3. Probably the most helpful- April 2010 issue where Jim Wofford talks about when to do dressage, jumping etc.

All of these are the "Cross Country with Jim Wofford" articles. Hope this helps!

MyBoyPuck 08-10-2010 09:40 PM

Other than not jumping more than twice a week, I personally don't like set schedules. There are too many other factors that can come into play. Murphy's law dictates that if you plan on galloping day, the weather will produce a 95 degree day with 80% humidity. You designate Tuesdays as dressage day, but your horse spent Monday being a goofball and has a sore shoulder that prevents him from using himself well. I'm sure you get my point.

I like to take it more from a standpoint of what does my horse feel like he needs on any particular day. If he's all wired and wanting to go, that's galloping day. If he's not too focused, that's a great day to work on gymnastics which force him to focus. If he seems a little stiff, we do some suppling exercises to try and work the kinks out. That usually turns into a dressage day and sometimes makes for our best work. If he seems bored with ring work and put in a few solid days or work, we hit the trails for the hat trick of muscle, balance and endurance building.

For us, it usually ends up being 2 trails rides per week, 1 or 2 jumping days, 2 dressage days and a day off. Never the same thing twice.

MIEventer 08-10-2010 10:14 PM

I jump only once a week, but I've given my reasons :)

I hack, hack, hack and hack some more and when I am done hacking, I hack again. Hacking is the best way to condition your horse, to get them prepared for the long day of festivities that are to come. Hacking conditions your horses lungs and heart and just makes your horse able to take the strenuous - we all know what hacking does for eventers.

While out hacking, you can work on your coffin canter, you can work on letting your horse out and bringing him back - transitions, you can do so much while out hacking, that is just as benefitial as arena work, if not better.

I do arena work once a week, focusing on relaxation, suppleness and transitions. I only work until I get what I ask, and then leave it at that and go on a hack.

wren 08-10-2010 10:27 PM

We're lucky in that we have a great trail just down the street, and we ride out to that quite often. Samson gets lots of trail riding fun, our favorite is to go down to Hocking Hills in southern Ohio. Hacking is how i grew up, and this ring work is what is new. ;-) MI, how do you work on bend and turns out hacking? In a field? On curvy trails? And, do you count riding out around the farm as hacking? Or specifically trails?
We hop over a couple of fences a couple of times a week, and work on the flat the rest.
I just want to build up more muscle so he is in better shape after a XC course. We don't have a lot of hills right here by the farm..so lots of trot work? Canter work? Just hours in the saddle?

I like like changing it up like you said Puck. Especially around here you can never predict the weather, let alone everything else. :-) i just want to make sure we're getting the most out of each workout.

Thank Hayley, i'll check out those issues. i really like Jim's articles. i think i still have those issues somewhere around here.

MyBoyPuck 08-10-2010 10:34 PM

Jim Wofford put it best.

Walk for muscle
Trot for balance
Canter for wind

If you go out and hack, mix up the gaits and through in some circles every now and then, you'll have a muscled up fit monster in no time.

wren 08-10-2010 10:37 PM

LOL about the monster

That's great advice from Jim too. And easy enough to remember. ;-)

StormyBlues 08-12-2010 02:15 PM

What I do, and it seems to work pretty well, is
10 minutes trot
3 walk
10 trot
3 walk
7 canter
1 trot
3 walk
7 canter
1 trot
3 walk
7 canter
1 trot
then walk out.
I'm still building up to three canters (we do 2 now) but we started just trotting, and then added in 2 5 min. canters, and now we bumped it up because we're moving up a level. I jump 1-2 times a week, and every other day is dressage. Dressage (properly!) builds muscles and helps with everything I've come to find!!! Also, on the endurance work, gradually add in hills. I also do endurance every 4 days. It takes 4 days to tell if the galloping caused any soreness in the legs or feet.

wren 08-13-2010 09:09 AM

Thanks Stormy!
That is exactly what i was looking for! :-)
Not that all of the other suggestions weren't awesome too.

StormyBlues 08-13-2010 03:45 PM

Another thing I must add - Pay attention to your horse and change the schedual to fit that day. I've bumped my canters down when Geof is feeling tired and laggish, and bumped my work up when he's being hot. It's all about listening to what the horse tells us