The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   Horse weight to pull cart (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/horse-weight-pull-cart-6182/)

appylover31803 02-18-2008 06:20 PM

Horse weight to pull cart

I was wondering if a horse has to be a specific weight to pull a cart, or a person. Like, I see mini's pulling a person, and then you see like a draft pulling a cart. Can all breeds essentially be able to pull a cart?

crackrider 02-18-2008 10:35 PM

Hmm . . . .I don't know for sure the answer to your question although i'd think that most horses could pull a cart. It just depends on the weight of the cart and the person it pulls.
But I'm not sure so anyone that does let us know!

englishcowgrl 03-30-2008 01:01 PM

any horse can pull a cart, i see full grown men, almost to big for the cart driving minis, and they have little problems. it all has to do with the size of your cart to the size of your horse. make sure the cart is proberly fitted to your horse.

My2Geldings 05-12-2008 12:00 AM

I think at the end of the day any horse can be trained to pull a horse. The question is really what kind and size of cart you are going to be asking the horse in question to pull. It all depends on the breed of the horse. Most arent build for carts.

PoptartShop 05-12-2008 02:56 PM

Yeah, it depends on the size. ;) I'm not really sure, though. I think the horse should be in good shape.

appylover31803 05-12-2008 03:08 PM

I was *thinking* about doing that with Gem, but have been just thinking of letting him relax forever. He's 8 turning 9 (he could be 9.. have to look at his papers) and he has mild arthritis (it's gotten a lot better). If he were to pull a cart, it would be small and light. But i'm sure pulling something can't be good for arthritis.

It was just a thought. Thanks for answering my questions!

PaintHorseMares 05-12-2008 04:29 PM

I have been told a horse can pull 4x their weight, but I have no idea if that is true or not.

PoptartShop 05-12-2008 05:29 PM

Well if it's really light then I don't think it'd be too much of a problem...so yeah, do what you feel he's ready for. :)

appylover31803 05-12-2008 10:14 PM

well i'm hoping he'll get 1000x better once he is able to move and stretch his legs and not be confined to such small living quarters.

Once when i start seeing an improvement, i'll slowly introduce him back to work. I'm sure he'll make a full recovery, but i'm willing to take as long as possible for that to happen.

Nine 07-15-2008 07:45 AM

When I worked for a carriage company, giving tours, I had to pull the carriage out of the barn and put it back in the barn each night. It had ball bearings and that made if very easy for me to move. These carriages were Vis-A-Vis, that seat 6 plus the driver. We used standarbreds and warm bloods - mostly quarter horse/draft crosses.