The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Writing a story (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/writing-story-61847/)

LokiNewfie 08-09-2010 04:14 PM

Writing a story

Hello I am writing a book that takes place in the Middle Ages but I do not know a lot about horses and wanted to get all the right facts, I was wondering if someone could help me with a few questions about horses.

1. Distance and speed
On average what is the furthest distance a horse can go
-Full out run
-Leisure ride/Regular traveling speed
How long of a break do a horse need after
-Full out run
I know this might be unrealistic but Iím just trying to get an accurate measurement in my head, how long would it take a horse to travel 100 kilometres without any breaks or stopping
-Full out run
On average how fast can/would a horse go at a
-Full out run

2. Do any one know what types of horses were used for what roles in the middle Ages?
Ex. What type of horse was used as a war horse, maidenís horse or what were the popular horses used in that time period

3. What equipment was used for a horse I know there is a saddle but beyond that I havenít an Idea

4. When packing a horse on average how much weight is appropriate to pack on a
-horse you are riding
-Spare horse

5. How often does a horse need to eat and drink

If anyone can help me out with these questions I would be great full

LokiNewfie 08-11-2010 06:12 PM

can anyone point me in the correct direction for getting the answers for these questions I relly want all the fact to be right when I write my book

Thanks

Ray MacDonald 08-11-2010 08:47 PM

Well all I really know is that a horse at full speed can reach 40 MPH? and a horse can walk all day if it needs too. and they need a lot of food particularly grass and grain for extra energy.

Draft horses were used to pull wagons, TBs for general riding or any light breed of horses and probably warmbloods for war, as the were big and strong but had good minds and had generarly calm temperments.