The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Instructing (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/instructing-61856/)

SorrelHorse 08-09-2010 05:45 PM

Instructing

So I have a girl who is a year or so younger than me. She can't afford lessons so I offered to teach her how to ride. After a few lessons she is ready to start preparing for the show ring. She's a natural rider, and I've decided I'm going to put her on our new reining horse Lena....One problem: I dot know where to start. I don't want to overwhelm her on how to slide and spin, but she needs to start getting these things down. I've been teaching her for about a year now.

So my question is, where should I start? I'm going to consult my trainer too, as she thinks I'm ready to teach this girl, but I'd like other opinions. When should I have her start sliding? Spinning? Lead changes? She can already change speed in circles and such. I'm just afraid I'll teach her something toofast and she'll panic. Are there excersizes I can have her do to ease her into the manuevers?
Posted via Mobile Device

Waybueno 08-09-2010 05:51 PM

Well I dont know about easing into the situation because when I learned how to slide and spin it was pretty sudden.
I went to look at a horse to buy like five years ago and I didnt know it knew how to slide stop and I didnt know how to make it. The owner of the horse told me he wanted me to do a circle then told me how to ask for a stop, he didnt say sliding stop though he just told me this is how you stop this horse. So I did what he said and it scared the livin poop out of me but honestly I enjoyed it. I did it again after that and was over the shock of him sliding.

Spinning though, you can probably ease her into that by having her spin the horse slowly at first instead of a full on show spin. Thats how I got used to it, was goin slow at first.

Sorry I couldnt be of more help.