The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   need help with leather mold ASAP (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/need-help-leather-mold-asap-61908/)

fire walker TWH 08-10-2010 11:11 AM

need help with leather mold ASAP

It seems to me that this year in Kentucky the humidity has been alot higher , or maybe its the hotter weather Im not sure. All I know is that all of my tack is getting moldy. I have always done a spring and fall cleaning of all my leather items and this spring I tore ligaments in my right ankle, and since I cant ride I skipped the semi annual thourough cleaning.
My usual routine is to use saddle soap, either liguid spray or bar, to clean everything thouroughly. Then I warm up to 140F in a crock pot of virgin olive oil and brush it on evenly to all surfaces.(dont use this on light tanned leather as it will darken it some). I let the oil soak up nicely and then wipe away any access.Then apply any polish on what pieces I want to.
So I have two main questions. 1(1.) what leather cleaning routine could I use to stop mold from forming, or what leather product is there available? and (2.) Will covering the leather with something or closeing it up in a sealed container/ bag help any?
I have 8 saddles, bridles and misc. pieces of tack so cost wise it cant be overwhelming.
Oh and does anyone know if pine sol will harm leather? Someone told me that pine sol was great to stop mold frfom comeing back but Im afraid of it hurting the leather more than helping.
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions they will be very appreciated, especially any that have been tried and true. THANKS

Speed Racer 08-10-2010 12:11 PM

Where are you keeping your tack? If it's not in a controlled temperature environment, it's going to mold no matter what you do.

I keep my tack in the house, in my spare bedroom. I don't have trouble with mold on my leather items.

I wouldn't use Pine Sol on leather, since like bleach, it's a drying agent. You can use vinegar on mold spots though, because it's much more gentle.

I wouldn't put anything leather in plastic. Leather is skin and needs to be able to 'breathe'. In fact, I would think covering it in plastic would encourage mold, not keep it away. The environment would be moist and sticky, especially if you'd just cleaned and conditioned the tack.

I use neetsfoot oil, because vegetable or other organic types of oil will break down and encourage mold spores. I've never heard of using warm olive oil on leather.

Alwaysbehind 08-10-2010 12:47 PM

Since my house is not climate controlled I have a problem with mold on any leather item I do not use on a regular basis.

I have had very good luck with Leather Therapy Restorer & Conditioner.

I too use Neatsfoot oil. I have heard of using olive oil but I just can not bring myself to do it.

franknbeans 08-10-2010 02:48 PM

We have a dehumidifier in our tack room-it helps immensely!

charlicata 08-10-2010 04:05 PM

Mine is not in a temperature controlled environment. I clean it with the Leather New spray about every other month because of how much I ride. When I'm done, I hang it in the tack room and cover it with a regular bed sheet. I haven't had any mold problems yet.