The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Critique his spin? (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/critique-his-spin-61987/)

Waybueno 08-11-2010 01:12 PM

Critique his spin?

Hey guys what do you think of Twinkies slow spin? He goes faster but sometimes get sloppy because he gets so amp'd up.

GreyRay 08-11-2010 01:20 PM

Why do you have to back up after?
Posted via Mobile Device

Waybueno 08-11-2010 01:22 PM

When I do a calm spin like that he normally tends to step forward when I ask him to stop, so iv been asking him to take 2-3 steps back after.

gypsygirl 08-11-2010 04:15 PM

im impressed ! that looked really good to me, but i know nothing about reining =]

Waybueno 08-11-2010 09:27 PM

hahah thanks

westerncowgurl 08-11-2010 09:30 PM

i think it looks nice :)

addictedtoreining 08-12-2010 09:50 AM

Real good spin... could use a little polishing on style.. He may have dropped his shoulder a little mid way thru the spin... Also looks like he is nosing out on the bit.... If you can get him to spin with his nose down on loose rein it will add to style points.

I would close my inside leg push him foward into the bit (drive him up) and place his head on loose rein the start spin again....

StylishK 08-12-2010 12:17 PM

I noticed the same thing as ^^.

I would like to see him more rounded up through his back and sitting on his hocks a little more. He looks like he's leaning on your in places. He looked like he could use a few good kicks in that barrel to get that up and over which likely would have lifted that inside shoulder up as well.

What do you do for bending/loosening up exercises? What do you do for spinning exercises or do you just spin?

I also don't like to see backing after a spin. Fine if you stop and he begins to walk forward back him up a few times. But give him that chance to make that mistake. Spinning is too mcuh about forward motion I would hate to see him get backed off too much.

I'd say right now its a 0 spin, I think he has the potential to plus it with some more style added on (which you would likely get from getting him to pick his body up more) a REALLY tough judge might give you -1/2 beause he kind of hops around and isn't sitting down on his hocks as well as he could. He looks like he has a big body to get around ahha

Overall though its good xD but you can definitely make it better.

Waybueno 08-12-2010 01:13 PM

Thanks you guys. As far as him putting his head down during the spin I dont think it will happen, he's been in two BIGish showing homes, which were his first two homes and he never spun with his head down for them. Iv tried to get it down myself and even thats a bit of an improvement, his last owner(my roomate) was a barrel racer that didnt know what she was doing with a reiner and blew him up pretty bad. Wont slide anymore, because she never used skid boots. And she spun him all the time so im sure he picked up habits from that. I dont think you can see it in the video but I have a martingale on him to reinforce his head staying low. Iv had him almost three years now and when I got him he was the typical barrel horse with a speed happy go lucky owner, head high, prancy and just wanted to run.

I do alot of bending exercises everyday, what would be a good spinning exercise? My exercises for him are to walk around the arena to the left once with his nose tipped in, then again around it with his nose tipped out. Ill counter bend him across the arena, then bend him in circles, going from big to small then back to big.

Im getting a lesson this saturday with an old trainer and shower of his, she's gonna help me with him. I'll tell her what you guys said about his spin.

AfterParty 08-12-2010 01:14 PM

I'm not western so that looks amazing to me !!
SO COOL