The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Is she to old ? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/she-old-62000/)

Frankiee 08-11-2010 03:46 PM

Is she to old ?

Is a 15 years old horse to old to start barrel racing with??? She's in okai shape and has loads of energie and can go real fast plus she seems to love it.
Think its to old ????

Speed Racer 08-11-2010 03:49 PM

At 15, you'd be asking her to go up against horses 7 to 10 years younger than she is. Do you think it's fair to ask her to do that?

At 15 y/o, she equates to about 45 y/o in human years. At her age, she's middle aged. It would be like me taking up tackle football as a career move. Not a wise idea.

annaleah 08-11-2010 03:52 PM

I agree with speed racer...unless she's been barrel racing her whole life or atleast a few years, I wouldn't introduce it to her now...you run the risk of her getting injured and then heaven fobid she not recover completly from it, then what do you do? I don't think it's a wise move either....sorry

BarrelracingArabian 08-11-2010 03:54 PM

shes not to old i know 20 year old horses who are still doing great in speed events. It all depends on how you ride her she isnt as young as most of the horses she will be competeing against but shes deffinately not to old

A knack for horses 08-11-2010 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 715919)
At 15, you'd be asking her to go up against horses 7 to 10 years younger than she is. Do you think it's fair to ask her to do that?

At 15 y/o, she equates to about 45 y/o in human years. At her age, she's middle aged. It would be like me taking up tackle football as a career move. Not a wise idea.

I sort of disagree with this. My old lesson horse was born to be a barrel racer, and she just retired this year. She is 24 years old and still kicking. At the ripe young age of 21, she won AQHA horse of the year. She is the ONLY daughter of Easy Max still running barrels. And since she was 16, she has been to the state barrel and pole finals every year and has been to the NHSRA National finals for poles, and has qualified two other times to go.

15 is not too old to start a horse on barrels. But it is not without its consequences. Although Annie is still occasionally running, she has arthritis in both her hocks, and she takes more time recover than she used to. I wouldn't expect a career out of him, but to occasionally do a run won't hurt him.

Frankiee 08-11-2010 04:01 PM

I would only go in small and local competions if she actually turns out good and only expect her to do her best. It would mostly be for fun.

A knack for horses 08-11-2010 04:03 PM

If you want proof, her registered name is Ms Easy Anne. She is a sorrel QH.

payette 08-11-2010 04:05 PM

EDIT: OP, I see we posted at the same time!
I think with your goals, it wouldnt hurt to play with running barrels- just be easy on your horse.

I would consider what are your goals for her?
If you are wanting to seriously compete in higher level competitions, 15 is likely too old, for the reasons above posters listed.
But, if you are wanting to fool around at playdays or gymkahnas, and care more about having fun than winning, I wouldn't think the horse is too old.
However, I know it is very easy to sour a horse on barrels by over training, practicing too much, etc., and unless your horse really enjoys it, at her age that is probably even more likely.
If she enjoys it, though, and you take it easy and worry more about precision than speed, it might be a fun thing to try.

Speed Racer 08-11-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A knack for horses (Post 715941)
But it is not without its consequences

Exactly. There are consequences that the HORSE will pay, not the rider.

Of course, you can always dope the horse up on painkillers later, right? Or have her hocks injected if she gets too bad.

Seriously, why not just get a younger horse who's proven that they're decent at running barrels, instead of putting an older horse through that?

lilruffian 08-11-2010 04:38 PM

If you;re doing small competitions & she's in good shape i see no problem. There's a 26 year old gelding at our gymkhana who still runs them like hes 8. I owned a welsh XQh mare for a couple years. I bought her at 14 & up until then she'd been running barrels.
I used her for trails & bred her a few times until i sold her to a young girl (8) this spring at the age of 18 & they're using her for barrels again & love her.
My arabian is 16 & i have her running barrels great. I don't compete with her but it wont hurt to train your horse.
If you're only doing it for fun, i see no problem with it. 15 is NOT old.