The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Tack and Equipment Classifieds (http://www.horseforum.com/tack-equipment-classifieds/)
-   -   Wanted-headstall and reins (http://www.horseforum.com/tack-equipment-classifieds/wanted-headstall-reins-62032/)

myQHpaul 08-11-2010 08:38 PM

Wanted-headstall and reins

I am envious of my barn owner who has many bridles with nice soft supple reins. They are so easy to handle and feel great during my lessons. I am looking for any color headstall and well worn rein set. The split reins should be a little thicker and 8 feet long in order to work well during my western cutting competitions. The reins should be in good shape as well. Pictures and prices are appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Erin_And_Jasper 08-11-2010 09:38 PM

i have a pair of 6 ft split reins. asking 9 including shipping

CloudsMystique 08-11-2010 10:58 PM

I have a Weaver black leather one-ear headstall with matching split reins. The headstall has chicago screws, but I replaced the screws on the reins with leather ties. I believe the reins are 10ft, but I'll have to measure them to be sure.

I paid $20-something each, and they've been used less than 5 times. I'll sell both for $35 shipped.

Let me know if you want pictures - I can take some tomorrow.

myQHpaul 08-12-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloudsMystique (Post 716498)
I have a Weaver black leather one-ear headstall with matching split reins. The headstall has chicago screws, but I replaced the screws on the reins with leather ties. I believe the reins are 10ft, but I'll have to measure them to be sure.

I paid $20-something each, and they've been used less than 5 times. I'll sell both for $35 shipped.

Let me know if you want pictures - I can take some tomorrow.

Can you send me some pics. Are the reins pretty soft and flexible? Looking forward to seeing how they look. The price your asking is not a problem.

iridehorses 08-12-2010 01:53 PM

Just a bit of info, Paul. If you get a good pair of reins, just keep using conditioner and saddle soap. My reins were stiff when they were new (3/4" and heavy harness leather) but after a month or two of using and conditioning, they were nearly like wet noodles.

I use saddle soap at least once per week to keep them that way and to clean the sweat off them - which will make them stiff if not cleaned.