The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   vent about nonhorsey people (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/vent-about-nonhorsey-people-62054/)

dizzynurse 08-12-2010 12:29 AM

vent about nonhorsey people

I was at work tonight and some of the girls were giving me crap about getting rid of Macie. They think riding horses is sooo easy. All you have to do is get up and make it go. They think my problems with her would be best solved with a 2x4.
They laugh at me cuz I want something a little calmer. "Why even have a horse if you can't handle the one you have" I just get frustrated that these people who are suppose to be friends are more condescending than supportive. Granted I am 31 yrs old it shouldn't bother me.
I know I am doing the right thing by getting a horse that is more suitable for me and getting her the right home where she will be loved and appreciated fo her energy.
thank you for letting me vent!:?

rocky pony 08-12-2010 01:44 AM

I totally know what you mean- I'm in just the same boat as you. I mostly get slack from horse people around here, though, who say I can just make it work with my horse. I've always known it wasn't right with us and I'm just trying to do what's best for the both of us! He's a great guy, but just not right for me. Horses are living, thinking animals with widely varied personalities, so not every horse is going to work well with every human!
It gets frustrating, but keep in mind that you're doing the right thing! No one knows your own situation better than you do.

sandy2u1 08-12-2010 02:58 AM

Sounds like idiots to me. Obviously the kind of people who have never ridden at all or have only had experience on those extremely dead broke public horses. I just would simply not discuss it with them anymore. It is always up to the rider to evaluate wether or not a horse is the right match for them. If you feel that your horse is wrong for you for whatever reason, then you are absolutely correct. To me, it takes a lot more courage for a rider to admit when they have a horse that is unsuitable than it does for a person to just hang on to a horse and keep trying to make them something they are not.

Maybe you should offer to let them come show you how its done :twisted: Just kidding!

franknbeans 08-12-2010 09:05 AM

Haha-brings back some memories. I am thinking from your sig that you are also a nurse.....it has been years since I have worked the units, but I DO remember vividly that nurses tend to be catty-and as we always said-esp in ICU-they eat their young.:lol:

Take it with a grain of salt. and-just picture them flying through the air just trying to do what you do! :lol:

Speed Racer 08-12-2010 09:20 AM

Dizzy, nonhorse people will never understand.

I say you invite them out to ride Macie, and then they can say whatever they want afterwards. That is, if they can still talk. :twisted:

Some horses and people are just not a good fit. It's not a crime, nor are you a 'wimp' for wanting a horse you can actually enjoy.

Don't worry, we get it. :wink:

dizzynurse 08-12-2010 09:44 AM

franknbeans... yep i am a nurse and yes we eat our young for some reason lol. I hate working with some woman because they are so catty!

I did get a mental image of them riding Macie.LMFAO That would be oooohh so funny.

Thank you for always being supportive!!! This forum and everyone here have made my horse experience a much better one!

corinowalk 08-12-2010 09:53 AM

Dizzy...I feel your pain. Its tough to be criticized for something you love. I also work in a woman-dominated field and am constantly keeping my cool. Some women are just um...witches. Have a laugh.

As far as wanting a horse that is enjoyable...why have anything else? I am 30 and when I was 18, I loved working with problem horses. The puzzle was fun for me. 12 years, 2 kids and a husband later...you can keep those problem horses. My next horse will be as dead-broke as I can find. The type of horse that you would put children on. For once, I wanna be the girl on the trail ride turned halfway around in a saddle...enjoying the scenery. Not the one at the back of the pack with a horse chomping at the bit, tossing its head and bucking while walking. That stuff just isnt as fun as it used to be.

A knack for horses 08-12-2010 10:09 AM

I totally get what you are going through.

My friends don't get that riding a camp trail horse on auto pilot isn't anything like real riding. They don't understand why it is so challenging when I tell them how Maggie bucked under the saddle today or Lily and Cowboy got into a kicking match.

They think I have over educated myself on horses so much that I can't control them anymore. Did I mention that Maggie just turned 4 and Lily hates Cowboy with a firey passion?

I guess I can never make them understand.....unless I got them on Maggie and let some cows out of the roping chute. :twisted:

As for you dizzynurse, you deserve a round of applause:

:clap:

Wanting to get a horse that is more in your control and you can enjoy is nothing to be ashamed of. I know there are days when I wish I were riding my old, calm, been there, done that lesson horses. But I still love riding these pesky little "ponehs".

xdrybonesxvalleyx 08-12-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

I know I am doing the right thing by getting a horse that is more suitable for me and getting her the right home where she will be loved and appreciated fo her energy.
Just tell them that, and ignore them.