The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Riding Tips!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/riding-tips-62060/)

xan2303 08-12-2010 02:56 AM

Riding Tips!!!

:DHey,:D
What are some great tips given to you over your years of riding?
I am trying to improve my riding skills any tips would be great!!!
Thanx!!!:D

Chiilaa 08-12-2010 05:24 AM

To help keep your shoulders in the right place - lift your shoulders up, pull them back, then let them drop into place from there :-)

AfterParty 08-12-2010 11:56 AM

Make sure to look up , your horse will go where your looking. If your looking down... your going down haha thats what I was always told.

It would help if you were more specific on what type of tips you were looking for :) We would be able to better help you !

xdrybonesxvalleyx 08-12-2010 12:22 PM

Don't compare your riding ability to others. Everyone learns at a different place, and don't try to compare your skill level to those younger than you, who might be at your level or higher. Don't try to push levels, just go at what you feel comfortable with and know that not everyone is capable of reaching the highest levels, and it only matters if you're having fun. Don't make it so competitive that you aren't seeing the fun in it anymore.

That being said, know what you can handle. Don't go over your head in discipline or in the horse.

Never give up, and if you take a tumble get back on the horse immediately to both discipline the horse (if he's done something wrong) and get over that initial fear. The sooner you get back on the better chance you'll have of recovering.

Always remain active. The walk is the hardest gait to master because it is hard to have the right engagement and activity in the horse. Don't slouch and let the horse carry you, always /ride/ and control the horse, and remain actively cueing, moving, and looking around in the direction you're going.

AfterParty 08-12-2010 12:24 PM

xdrybonesxvalleyx

This oos why I love this forum , so true what nice things to say :)

xdrybonesxvalleyx 08-12-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

This oos why I love this forum , so true what nice things to say :)

I'm not sure what you are referring to, but thank you. ^_^

xan2303 09-19-2010 09:14 PM

Thx great tips!!! ill be sure to use them!!!

Beau Baby 09-19-2010 11:41 PM

Try posting four steps and standing four steps. Do that over and over and over again. It helps get your leg in the proper place and helps keep it there.

sdellin 09-20-2010 01:16 AM

Try not to ride tense. I found that when I am relaxed my horse is relaxed.

Also, I go back to the basics once in a while and just practice the easy stuff. Here is my list of the very, very basic stuff my trainer has me go back to:
Heel down, toe in, hip rotated in, sit up stright, look up and where you're going, not down.

BitlessForHappiness 09-21-2010 11:30 PM

My most important tip: Don't overthink. Do what feels right, and trust your trainer (I'm assuming you're taking lessons? If not, whoever you ride with.) Trust your instincts and ALWAYS go with your gut.