The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Moving... Ok OR NOT? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/moving-ok-not-62075/)

Tophandcowgirl 08-12-2010 12:34 PM

Moving... Ok OR NOT?

So, I am a senior in high school right now and looking to attend the Air Force Academy in Colorado. I currently live in Ohio. I love my horse very much, and I never want to sell him but.......

I'm not sure if a move as drastic as this one is good for my horse (12 year old QH gelding.) He is in excellent health, always has been, easy keeper, low stress level, overall pretty happy. I'm thinking that the move will probably be a fairly smooth one, but what do you all think?

I can keep him here in Ohio for a year (or two) while I am a freshman in Colorado and then bring him out to school with me my second or third year. There are stables on the base, so he would be very close to me. This is the only way I can think of keeping my horse and not having to sell him when I leave. :(

AfterParty 08-12-2010 12:40 PM

I wouldn't see any problems with a healthy horse being moved ! Horses get moved and shipped around all the times going to new owners, shows , etc .

I say move him with you , he'd miss you if you were gone :)

Speed Racer 08-12-2010 12:47 PM

He's 12 y/o and healthy? He'll be fine.

knippes 08-12-2010 03:53 PM

Just wanted to give you a heads up that you probably won't have much time to spend with your guy if you attend the Air Force Academy. I went to West Point, and had pretty much 0 free time. If you have someone who can work him at home for you, you might want to leave him there for at least the first two years. Unless they have a riding team or club that you can use him in, then that counts as some of your extra curricular activities.
Also, I moved my QH from Pennsylvania to Colorado and had no problems at all with the move.
-Kym

Tophandcowgirl 08-12-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knippes (Post 717104)
Just wanted to give you a heads up that you probably won't have much time to spend with your guy if you attend the Air Force Academy. I went to West Point, and had pretty much 0 free time. If you have someone who can work him at home for you, you might want to leave him there for at least the first two years. Unless they have a riding team or club that you can use him in, then that counts as some of your extra curricular activities.
Also, I moved my QH from Pennsylvania to Colorado and had no problems at all with the move.
-Kym

Thank you so much for the information! I too am concerned about not having any time to spend with him, but I used to live on base at the Academy and took riding lessons there. Some privately owned horses were used for lessons, which is a possibility. I'm going to fully investigate my options before I do anything, though.