The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   First ride (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/first-ride-6208/)

Brandon 02-19-2008 05:40 PM

First ride

Well had my first ride 2 weeks ago, and it was a BLAST... It was the first time i had ridin, the suprisin thing for me was i wasnt nervous at all.. I very excited.. Well anyways, i got on the horse and it just felt confrontable. The horse was about 15.5HH, a nice Roan mare.. I had some trouble first startin out with the basic commands like GO and i had a horrible time steerin her, because her owner spoilt her so she basically just kept goin by her owner which was frustratin for me. Anyways i quess after i put some more force in my voice and fixed a few things, i was finally doin good. Also i think one reason i was havin a hard time was because the horse didn't have a bit in her mouth, but i don't know. Then we tried trotting, which was hard for me because i just kept bouncin around and my feet kept poppin out of the stirrups, the trainor kept tellin me "keep your heels down" which is hard but i quess not unexpected of a first time rider.

After that we went trial ridin, which was the most relaxin and the best time i have had in along time.. the scenery was good, everythin was good.. I had a complete BLAST

Well that was my first time ridin, and i cant wait till saturday because every saturday i am gonna be ridin! WOOP WOOP!

Thanks,
Brandon

AKPaintLover 02-19-2008 05:52 PM

That is great! It sounds like you had a wonderful time, and I hope you keep enjoying it as much.

Just for your own future reference: Hands on a horse are in 4 inch increments, so it would go 15.0hh, 15.1hh, 15.2hh, 15.3hh, 16.0hh, 16.1hh, 16.2hh, etc. If you rode a horse, and you were told she was 15.5hh, they were wrong, or she is actually 16.1hh. I hope that helps. :)

Brandon 02-19-2008 05:56 PM

Oh thanks, lol that makes sense.. well it just kinda quessed what she said (its been 2 weeks, and i got a bad memory).... I knew that a hand was 4 inches, thank you for tell me that the HH goes in increments.

Thanks

mlkarel2010 02-19-2008 06:47 PM

Sounds fun! I can't remember my first ride....all I know was that I was itty-bitty and it was at the little pony rides that only go in a circle.... not exaclty exciting.... riding colts, that's more of what I'm about..... glad you had fun, even if it didn't go perfectly..... once I road a spoiled mare w/o a bit....bad experience..... her owner struggled.... the poor thing had a gapping wound on her entire leg, but they didn't do anything and just kept riding her.... i felt so bad for her :cry:

Brandon 02-19-2008 07:28 PM

Well actually its not the first time i have ridin a horse... i did ride a pony at my moms friends house about 9 years ago, and for some reason i think got on and went 2 steps and i think i sat on the spine or somethin because all i can remember is wantin off immediatly... i aint sure, no tellin what happend but i do remember i wanted off...

I CAN NOT WAIT TILL SATURDAY!!! :shock:

mlkarel2010 02-19-2008 08:14 PM

Sounds like that was exciting too.... Why can't you wait till saturday?
I can't wait until Thursday!! It'll be the first time I've done anything with horses since like late October early November!! I'm so excited because I get to see my two 4-H horses for the first time!! I really can't wait till the snow melts so I can start riding the one and training the other!!

Brandon 02-19-2008 08:16 PM

Well every saturday i get to go out to my trainors ranch and she teachs me to ride.. Riding for me is like a release of stress, and idk an escape from the busy world becuase everythin slows down and its just you, beautiful horse, and nature

mlkarel2010 02-19-2008 08:21 PM

AMEN!! to like everything in that.... sorta..... every Saturday I normally help out at the local trainers, except winter is the slow season and bball makes my life crazy.... I'm so excited that I'm going to be 16 soon and I can drive out more often now.... I can't wait to see my new project horse!! oh and I noticed the saturday thing after I posted......sorry, details elude me.....