The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   {Question} Ways to catch a horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/%7Bquestion%7D-ways-catch-horse-6211/)

Brandon 02-19-2008 08:38 PM

{Question} Ways to catch a horse?

Hey yall, i was just wonderin how do you guys catch your horse.. I know you can train your horse to come to you so you can put the halter on... but like how do you get an untrained or a new horse to be able to be caught..

I read the body pouster (sorry cant spell), can play a role in catchin a horse...

Sorry its a newb question, but i would like to know some methods that experienced people use.

appylover31803 02-19-2008 08:44 PM

my horse is turned out in an individual paddock, so i don't have to actually go catch her in a field or anything. But she just walks right up to the gait and lets me put the lead on her.

I never really did anything with my body posture. All i do really is just smile when i see her and stuff. I do believe she was like that since day one, but my fiance's horse took a little while to warm up to him. He did a lot of just bonding time. whether it be grooming, just standing by the horse talking to him, grazing him, or feeding him carrots. That really got a strong bond between them. I think it just depends on the horse tho.

I think other people will have more in depth answers. Sorry i couldn't really help you out too much.

Julia Slater 02-19-2008 08:57 PM

Yes, body language is the most important thing that you can learn when doing anything around horses.

But as far as catching them...
I see a lot of folks just walking up to their horses and putting a halter on them. No greeting, courtesy or communication.
Most horses just get used to that, but I found all of them will respond to a little courtesy.

When you walk up to your horse, or your horse comes up to you, let him smell your hand. Horses greet each other by sniffing noses. But they will accept the hand as a replacement for the nose when it comes to contact w/ humans. This is the correct way to greet your horse politely.

Then while keeping one hand available for smelling, put the other in the crook of their neck and gently rub it. That is something I always do... But mostly cause I have almost nothing but young horses at the place.
The crook of the neck is what I call the "Momma Spot". A mother mare will touch her baby there to reassure them that everything is ok.
So when I touch my goofy younguns there as I catch them, they tend to calm down for me, and soon learn to be caught quietly.

free_sprtd 02-19-2008 09:49 PM

Hmm.....I've never had to catch mine either, he always comes up to me from day one. However, my sis in laws horses have to be caught and she bribes them with grain (which isnt the right way about it). Another thing to do is to just hang out in the field. Just be there and let the horse get used to you. Eventually, they will get curious and come to investigate. But like the others have said, a lot of bonding time and a real positive attitude, even if they ignore you. Walk slowly and confidently. When a horse turns to look at you, and is appearing interested (even if not moving towards you) that is their way of giving the ok for you to advance towards them. I have been told not to continue walking towards them if they turn their body from you. If that happens, stop, talk to them and get their interest back. Baby steps and it will happen for you! good luck!

jazzyrider 02-19-2008 10:10 PM

my guys come when i call them which is good cause we are on huge property. if the wind is blowing the wrong way though and they cant hear me i just go on out there and get them. i always offer a small treat and give a rub before putting the halter on. this way it is always associated with treats and lovin :)

LadyDreamer 02-20-2008 12:31 AM

heh, I am the only one who can catch just about anything in the fields(with the exception of two). Usually, my family ends up having to herd them into the barn to get them, if they get wound up. Two mares we have to do that because they won't let you touch them in the field. I am working on them though. I can stand about arms length from one of them now without her moving away. For her that is a HUGE accomplishment.

When I go out, I don't catch them everytime. Somedays I bring a curry comb, some days I bring carrots, some days I pet them, some days I just walk through them and check them over. I change it up.

When I do go to catch them, I always go to the side and scratch thier shoulder and thier neck on the near side, and then slip my hand under thier head onto thier nose and slip the halter on.

That is for the ones who are broke to lead and halter and all that.

Stepher 02-20-2008 03:10 PM

My one boy, Spy is almost impossible to catch, it drives me nuts! He will let you walk up to him, smell your hand and then as you go to put the halter on he flips his head, turns and trots away. Now we keep his halter on 24/7; for a while he was fine, grab the halter, no probs... well he started to jump back when you reached for the halter... so now the only way to catch him is to take a whip out and when he turns his back on me, I chase him with it (I keep the whip behind my back so that he has a chance to stand still). The first couple days it took about 20 minutes to catch him, and then he clued in that it was easier to just be caught.
Now its just a matter of getting his leg all better so we can start all over :roll:

Abby 02-21-2008 01:50 AM

mine likes to run away. So I either stand there and let him run and wait patiently for him to return or I run like hell after him and don't let him stop running until I say! He doesn't run anymore. He just walks promptly away when he's being a booger so what I do is catch him, bring him in, brush and love on him give him food snacks etc then turn him out. Wait fifteen minutes, clean his stall whatever, go back out and LET HIM COME TO ME I may wait an hour but I do because if I go to him, I'm reinforcing him running away. Once me comes to me I'll extend a hand to be nuzzled, if he doesn't nuzzle me I'll ignore him and leave before he leaves me. I then do something else for a while, drink a cup of coffee talk to my BM and then go back out and wati and see if he comes to me, if he doesn't I'll go to him hook him up and then groom and play with him out in his pasture a little then bring him out and saddle him up and all that and then feed him snacks spoil him whatever then ride then groom him and love all over him and then turn him out. After a few days he stood quietly for me to get him or came up to me without a fight to be caught. There are still some days but that method really works. The worse thing you can do is punish your horse right after you catch him for running away, thats a terrible thing to do. It will make things worse. The best praise you can give your horse after you catch him, is to pet him on the nook of his neck like mentioned and then let him go again.

.Delete. 02-21-2008 09:09 AM

Chasing a horse wont do you any good. They will turn it into a game of sorts. Thats whay my horses do. I have an Arab mare that likes to let you try to catch her for hours at a time. At one point i had to keep walking circles around her. The circles slowly getting smaller and smaller. God that took forever. Horses run from you because either they are unsure or they don't want to be worked. Mine run because they don't want to be worked. So from time to time i go out into the pasture and just love on them, brush them and such. It makes them think that everytime i touch them its not going to be for work. So its eaiser for me to catch them. But my Arab....thats still another story.

Small_Town_Girl 02-21-2008 09:45 AM

Mine comes a'runnin' when I rattle the feed bucket! :D