The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Splint boots vs. Polo Wraps (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/splint-boots-vs-polo-wraps-62117/)

myQHpaul 08-12-2010 09:03 PM

Splint boots vs. Polo Wraps

My quarter horse and I are training for cutting competitions next season. I have seen horses with splint boots and others with polo wraps. Are there benefits to either of them or is one better then the other for tendon protection. Thanks.

Fifty 08-12-2010 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myQHpaul (Post 717461)
My quarter horse and I are training for cutting competitions next season. I have seen horses with splint boots and others with polo wraps. Are there benefits to either of them or is one better then the other for tendon protection. Thanks.

By splint boots do you mean SMB boots? because all splint boots do are protect your horses leg from the other legs hitting it. Smb Boots are very good, they protect the legs and support them, take away the shock, etc. You have to get good ones though. Polo wraps are a preference, if they are wrapped right, they have very good benefits. They support the leg nicely, but if your horses tend to hit their legs together often, they won't do that much protection. Polo's also come in tons of colors and patterns, + they won't cost you an arm and a leg. If you use polos, sometimes the velcro comes off during running, so you would need to take some electrical tape to secure the strap. If I had to pick one, I would go with the SMB's but I would look for a used pair so that it's not so much. Professional Choice, Justin, and Performers 1st choice, Classic Equine brands I hear good things about with the SMB's. The only Polo brand I know of that Is good is Classic Equine, I'm sure there are plenty more nice polo brands out there, you just need to look for some nice velcro.

myQHpaul 08-12-2010 10:25 PM

Thanks so much. Yes, I was referring to the SMB splint boots. I will keep my eyes open to any used that come up for sale.

Fifty 08-12-2010 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myQHpaul (Post 717543)
Thanks so much. Yes, I was referring to the SMB splint boots. I will keep my eyes open to any used that come up for sale.

If you have a facebook, there are TONS on here. Welcome to Facebook