The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/conformation-critique-62144/)

JumperStride 08-13-2010 08:34 AM

Conformation Critique

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3089808_n.jpg

Four year old TB, not raced, started working undersaddle and needs to be finished off. I'm looking at him as a prospect for one of my students, a succesful rider who wants a horse to polish up and have for awhile. I've visited the barn and seen him move, and he could probably do fairly well in hunter. Asking only 1200 for him, wanted to get some opinions on his conformation.

maura 08-13-2010 10:16 AM

Not crazy about him.

Neck is short, lacks muscling and ties on high. Not helped by the way he's stood up for the photo, but I do think it's a real concern. Appears to over at the knee. May also toe out in front, particularly the left. Very prominent wither and no muscling along the horse's topline; classic inverted TB conformation that will require some extra work to improve.

Does have a nice shoulder, which probably produces the huntery style movement you see.

I think the $1200. price is based partly on his beautiful condition and coat; depending on your part of the country, there are probably better prospects out there for the money.

Speed Racer 08-13-2010 10:41 AM

I agree with Maura.

Except for his lovely shoulder, there's nothing about this horse that screams quality to me.

A greenbroke TB with just 'meh' conformation isn't worth $1,200.00. There are plenty of 4 to 5 y/o well built TBs out there for a lot less.

CharliGirl 08-13-2010 05:24 PM

I agree with the above posters, but wanted to add that his back looks pretty short as well.

I would keep looking for a horse. There are so many good ones on the market right now for very cheap--with this economy, people are downsizing herds or getting out of horses altogether. Keep looking for that diamond in the rough.

maura 08-13-2010 06:46 PM

I checked back on this thread to see other replies and took another look at the photo.

There's something odd about his hind end I can't quite put my finger on - the point of his croup is too far back, making for a weak loin and a short hindquarter. If you draw the triangle between point of croup, point of hip and stifle, it's very lopsided. Additionally, he looks pretty straight between hip and hock; without enough angle to to his stifle.

I'd keep looking.

payette 08-13-2010 07:28 PM

Agreed^^
Honestly, when I saw the picture I thought it was a 2-3 year old grade QH pony cross of some sort. . . I would pass. . . I think you can find a really decent horse for the same price.

JumperStride 08-14-2010 12:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
We're passing on Toughie (above horse) I'm sure someone will pick him up for that price around here. under 2 grand around here is really kind of a steal. But also makes people suspicious. We do have two other prospects, shown above.

First one is 4yr old QH Mare, priced at 4500, second is a 7yr old tb, on the track till he was 4, priced at 1500 I believe, possibly 2, memory is a bit foggy.

AnimalFarm2006 08-14-2010 12:33 AM

I like the second picture the best. Not because he just looks to have a bit of a spark but because the first picture's front legs look weird. Like they have more curve than a straight line. Maybe just me..I don't know.

A knack for horses 08-14-2010 01:41 AM

The QH looks like she has a long toe, short heel issue. That can be worked out by a farrier. To me she looks like she lacks muscling in her neck, in respect to the rest of her body. Her back is relatively in proportion. She isn't standing square, so I can't tell if her back legs are out from underneath her or not.

The TB has a long back. His hind legs look out from underneath him. It may be the angle, but he looks like another 50 pounds wouldn't hurt him. He has a nice head.

If it were me, I would choose the QH.

payette 08-14-2010 03:58 PM

I kinda like the TB. . . hard to tell at that angle about his hindquarters. . . with some groceries he looks like he'd be a good looking guy.