The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Rope Halters VS Regular Nylon Ones (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/rope-halters-vs-regular-nylon-ones-62194/)

Tessa T 08-13-2010 06:48 PM

Rope Halters VS Regular Nylon Ones

2 Attachment(s)
Okay, so l have been seeing a LOT of advertising for rope halters lately. I have always used the regular ones with the buckles on the side and I think they're some sort of nylon, but I was wondering is there much of a difference? I've heard rope halters apply pressure on specific areas that provide more control of the horses head, whereas the nylon one doesn't and the buckles could snap if they were really tested. I have had some times where my horses did test them and they never broke, but what do you guys think? I like the way the rope halters look, but is it uncomfortable for them with this pressure point thing?
Thanks! :D

Tessa T 08-13-2010 07:01 PM

Okay, so I posted this in the wrong "Tack and Equipment" place. Haha. :oops:
Is there anyway to move this thing?

smrobs 08-13-2010 07:03 PM

The main thing about rope halters is that they have the potential to really bite if you ever need it. So long as it is adjusted properly and is in good shape, then just wearing one doesn't seem uncomfortable to the horse. The knots only really come into play if you have to put pressure on the halter and the knots encourage the horse to want a release simply because it is uncomfortable to pull. That is why they are ideal for training, they are nearly unbreakable and you have the option of really getting their attention with one. I really prefer them to the nylon or even leather halters simply because I have had many times when a buckle would break and I ended up with a loose horse. Even if the buckle doesn't break, then the tongue of the buckle bends and makes it really hard to unbuckle, then you have to straighten it out with pliers and that weakens it so that it would break the next time. LOL.

Not to mention that they give a better fit on a wider range of horses because there is no pre-punched set of holes that you have to use (or burn more).

This is the same halter on my yearling QHxBelgian (who's head is bigger than your standard stock horse)
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...g?t=1281740420

And a 3 year old Arab that I rode for a customer. He had a very small head and I had to punch more holes in my bridle to get it to fit him.
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...g?t=1281740547

It will even work on my Belgian mare in a pinch, though it rides a little snug on her nose.

Tessa T 08-13-2010 07:14 PM

Wow, thank you, that was very helpful! I have been considering getting one for my boy who I'm starting to really work with, so I think a halter that's good for getting his attention makes a lot of sense.

dedebird 08-13-2010 07:19 PM

hmm i think the regular ones look better the nylon ones are used by my instructor they are fine too i just prefer the normal ones easyer to put on and i want something that will break if the horse is trying THAT hard to get away ya know!

A knack for horses 08-13-2010 07:27 PM

In my opinoin, Rope halters tend to be a little more adjustable than nylon, which could save you some time when trying to find a halter to fit a horse's massive head.

Like smrobs said, rope halters, when "activated", can apply more pressure to the horse. I believe Clinton Anderson has a rope halter in his collection that is designed with four knots in the nose band to make resistance uncomfortable. (not painful). I've heard good things about his halters.

As for the snaps breaking, I've never seen it happen, but "sissy snaps" will break pretty easily if a horse starts getting out of control. Heavy Brass snaps are usually the safest way to go if you are concerned about this happening. (although in some situations, it is just better to have the snap break rather than have 1200 pounds of horse pull against a humans inferior power)

Heartland 08-13-2010 08:40 PM

The only time a rope halter is uncomfortable for a horse is if the horse is resisting. I actually no longer use nylon halters. I'm all rope now. :) For years, I had a gelding who would rear back and pull against a halter when tied. Last summer I began tying him with a rope halter. He pulled back twice, and then never again. It cured an 8 year problem with tying him in one lesson! He has never pulled back since! It gives horses less to lean on in that respect. I agree with other comments that rope halters are very adjustable. I had a draft gelding, a petite headed 3yr old mare and a 10yr old QH gelding. They could all wear the same rope halter. I'm not going back to nylon/webbed halters ever again. I have a few Clinton Anderson halters and a few normal tack shop rope halters with leads. I prefer Clinton's for training, and the normal cheapies to have around as spares and for catching halters. :)

CharliGirl 08-13-2010 09:31 PM

I use a quality marine rope halter--it adjusts to fit all of my horses (warmblood, large horse, cob). I have some nylon strap halters on hand, but I rarely use them anymore. I got tired of them breaking and fraying. My rope halter looks almost brand new, and I've been using it for the past 3 years.

horseluver250 08-13-2010 09:41 PM

One thing no one mentioned, they are soo easy to wash! I put mine inside a pillow case, knot it up, then throw it in with the rest of my laundry. They come out looking brand new. I wouldn't want to do that with a regular halter with all that hardware haha.

Heartland 08-13-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseluver250 (Post 718382)
One thing no one mentioned, they are soo easy to wash! I put mine inside a pillow case, knot it up, then throw it in with the rest of my laundry. They come out looking brand new. I wouldn't want to do that with a regular halter with all that hardware haha.

Good idea!!! And all this time I've been spraying them off with the hose... I bet the washer works better! :lol: