The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Miniatures (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/miniatures-6223/)

appylover31803 02-20-2008 12:49 PM

Miniatures

I saw a video on youtube of this adorable mini. And then i was wondering how you pick their feet? Do you kneel, or just pick them up like you would a horse?

horse_luver4e 02-20-2008 01:34 PM

Hmmm, Thats a good question. I guess it depends on how tall it is. :)

JustDressageIt 02-20-2008 06:00 PM

My old barn had a mini named Doc.. SO cute, but he was a nasty little bugger! My friend's 16.3hh Warmblood got in a fight with him over their common fence and he (the big horse) ended up with part of his neck torn off! He would escape from his paddock every once in a while and loved hanging out with the resident stallion, Duke. He was exceedingly nice to people! We hooked him up to a sled to do feedings in the winter... and go for sled rides!
Anyways, we just stood beside him and bent down (really far!) to pick up his feet... the farrier would kneel beside him to trim him up though... :)

appylover31803 02-20-2008 06:03 PM

I cannot believe Doc did that to the warmblood. That's crazy.
Thanks for letting me know how to do it. I want to get a mini, like save one or something, and just didn't know how to go about it.

JustDressageIt 02-20-2008 08:44 PM

Haha it's not too hard, you figure it out pretty quick. And on the up side, if he refuses to give you his foot, it doesn't take much to "convince" him to! :P
I've always wanted a mini!! Now that I've found a cheap/free place to board, I might just adopt one...
Doc is adorable, but a cheeky little bugger... and faaaat! Holy crow! You really have to watch their weight, they'll eat and eat....!!

appylover31803 02-20-2008 09:55 PM

yeahh I'm sure they can eat. At my old barn, there was a mini and she was so fat people would ask if she was pregnant! She was such a cutie pie. Her name was Cookie Monster and it really fit her.

I think when my fiance and i move into a house, i'll convince him to adopt a mini.

horse_luver4e 02-20-2008 09:59 PM

hehe theres a pony where I board my horse, and his name is Nudy. He's so cute! He is like a shetland hackney I think and he's black and white tabiano. Lol he bit my dad on the butt! :lol:

Cheval 02-21-2008 12:18 AM

Well, I guess it depends on how tall the person dealing with them is. I'm 5'5"(ish) and I'd definatly have to bend down. They sure are adorable, though!

appylover31803 02-21-2008 09:56 AM

I personally like the smaller breeds, like the Fallabella. But i'm 5'10 and my fiance's 6'1 so maybe we'd have to kneel or something. It would be fun to try out tho :P

Ride4Life 02-21-2008 01:50 PM

oh my gosh i love minis! they are just soo cute! theres 1 at the barn im at now and his name it Willie lol. his mane is so thick and puffy!