The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Cleaning white faces? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/cleaning-white-faces-62259/)

BarrelRace4Life 08-14-2010 09:45 PM

Cleaning white faces?

My horse has quite a bit of white on her face. I sometimes spray it reeeeally lightly with the hose but it never gets it all out. what are good tips to making their faces really white for shows?

AQHA13 08-14-2010 09:51 PM

My horse only has small facial markings, but I just use baby shampoo. This way if it gets in her eyes it won't sting. Then I turn the water on really low and she knows to drop her head so the water runs down her face and doesn't risk getting in her ears.

BarrelRace4Life 08-14-2010 09:54 PM

ok thanks. i'll try that

CharliGirl 08-14-2010 09:58 PM

I've never shown before, but I have had luck with a soft face curry and baby wipes. They can clean up those white markings really well.

MudPaint 08-14-2010 10:43 PM

My beast is all white... yay lucky me.

I've found that currying while rinsing out the shampoo really cleans out the dirt. The best whiteners have a bluing agent, but they're not always the nicest to eyes.

riccil0ve 08-14-2010 10:47 PM

I just fill a sponge with warm water and maybe a teensy bit of soap and scrub my girls' blaze and nose. It works great. She's pretty sure she's going to drop dead, but she'll get over it eventually. =]

Horsel02 08-17-2010 06:58 PM

EQ Solutions or Ez All concentrated works great because it does not sting their eyes. You will what I have in my avatar, he is a bald faced paint.

cakemom 08-17-2010 07:04 PM

We wash with baby shampoo and a soft curry, touch up with baby wipes and keep coated in bug guard.
Posted via Mobile Device

rosethorn 08-18-2010 10:39 AM

Self Rinse Plus. It is a self rinsing shampoo with a whiting agent. Spray some onto a cloth and rub the white spot in small circles. It will get very foamy. Then take a shammy and dry the face. Then redo it until it looks clean. Self rinse plus can be used everywhere. I use it on my chestnuts tail in the winter when I can't wash it. It is also great for touching up spots at shows!

Rosethorn

xdrybonesxvalleyx 08-18-2010 12:28 PM

Bleacchh!
No, DONT do that. >.>

I would suggest baby wipes as well--and they are very gentle on the eyes. Then I would go through with shampoo and use a curry.