The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   This places at Congress? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/places-congress-62271/)

corinowalk 08-14-2010 10:48 PM

This places at Congress?

2 Attachment(s)
This horse is for sale locally and I had a friend ask me what I thought. He is for sale for $5500...the ad does not mention whether he is trained to ride. The ad says that this horse has qualified for Congress twice and placed in the top 10 both times. Am I missing something? He just looks...Odd to me. I am not good at judging conformation but this horse just doesnt look well put together. Down hill...short upright pasterns...that shoulder is almost a straight line up and down. Is this really what they are looking for?

AngelWithoutWings54 08-14-2010 11:06 PM

Another thing- he's way more muscled in the front than he is in the back, which gives him such an awkward look.

I personally don't like him.

payette 08-14-2010 11:19 PM

poor thing looks like he's standing on tiptoe.

corinowalk 08-14-2010 11:25 PM

Dont get me wrong...I love me some Quarter Horses. The close to a block they resemble, the better as far as I am concerned. I just think that halter horses are supposed to be breed standards..and he doesnt even look functional. Sorry to criticize...im just puzzled!

Carleen 08-15-2010 01:25 AM

He has a tiny head and his shoulders look like they belong on a bull, not a horse.

Deerly 08-15-2010 01:31 AM

I have a quarter horse and I love him madly but every time a professional or quarter horse breed show happens I get sad. They don't seem to stress versatility and functionality which I always assumed was the point of the breed - haha.

smrobs 08-15-2010 01:38 AM

I seriously doubt that he is broke to ride. His conformation wouldn't permit him to be used for moderate riding and stay sound. Plus, I bet he would be about like riding a jackhammer during an earthquake. Unfortunately, that is the type that they look for in halter classes. If I was looking for a horse to ride, I would keep looking because that one would be more trouble than he was worth.

franknbeans 08-15-2010 07:02 AM

Agree. He just looks odd. Not sure what has happened to the AQHA over the years-just look at what they are looking for in pleasure, too.......:(

corinowalk 08-15-2010 08:12 AM

Now I am regretting not showing Nico in halter! He atleast had functional conformation. He was Impressive bred too but without all the hypp and tiny feet! Maybe Ill get a few confo shots of him and some of you confo people can help me disect it. I can do that now since he technically isn't mine anymore! LOL

Gidji 08-15-2010 08:29 AM

Ehh, that horse is downright ugly. Halter classes used to be about correct, sound and functional conformation. Now its all about who can have the most muscly, butt ugly, HYPP horse.