The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   So Excited! Need help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/so-excited-need-help-6232/)

JustDressageIt 02-20-2008 08:06 PM

So Excited! Need help!

So I just got informed that the place I'm training a mare at might be willing to offer me free or cheap board to keep a horse!
Since that was the only thing holding me back from buying a horse, this is extremely exciting!
So I need some help:
I'd really like to rescue a horse, but I don't know where to start other than to go to an auction nearby and buy a horse... are there specific places I can look at to help out a rescue? Age doesn't really matter, though the younger the better, and I'd like to keep above 13hh... and I'd be willing to spend up at around $700 - I know it's not much, but with prices being what they are I think it should be plenty.
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!

mlkarel2010 02-20-2008 08:21 PM

if you enjoy driving then I've got a project horse you could prolly even take for free.... but with gas prices..... also a lot of people put horses to adopt on webites such as horse.com and other classified sites

JustDressageIt 02-20-2008 08:29 PM

Where are you located, mlkarel2010? I do enjoy driving, but don't own a cart at the momeny, so I would probably be looking for a riding project :) I would love to see pics of the horse you're interested in adopting out!
Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I've been searching EquineHits.com and Horsetopia.com, and haven't found anything worthwhile, and they've all been non-rescue situations... I wish there was a website where you could specifically search for adoptable rescures...

mlkarel2010 02-20-2008 08:35 PM

sorry....driving like driving cars..... I'm in South East Nebraska.... a little far from Canada.... I'll try to get pictures of him tomorrow..... actually the person who "owns" him tried to give him away to the person who bought another one of his horses.... I think he's still pretty young because he's grey and still has his dapples!!

tim 02-20-2008 09:02 PM

Found this: The Mitchell Center - Alberta, Canada

Maybe they have a few horses. It sounds ideal for you. The horses are not supposed to be in too bad of shape, it says "The Mitchell Centre for Equine Rescue and Education was established to save young, healthy, reusable horses from going to slaughter." so maybe you can find a show prospect.

quixotesoxs 02-20-2008 09:14 PM

Awesome! I always use dreamhorse.com and equine.com when I am looking for horses. I am sure you can find a rescue place near you. You have no idea how many nice horses I have rescued at auctions, it's amazing!

JustDressageIt 02-20-2008 09:48 PM

Thanks, Tim and quixotesoxs! Muchly appreciated! I am not necessarily looking for a show prospect, but that might be in the horse's future!
I have never rescued a horse before, any advice?
Any additional hints about where to look would be great!

quixotesoxs 02-20-2008 09:53 PM

I really recomend looking at local rescue places. This is your best option if you are looking for something rideable. You can get something at an auction, but you never can be 100% sure about health until you get it home. If you get a horse from a rescue, you can get it vet checked and be sure it is something you can care for. Rescuing a horse is really rewarding. I have done it multiple times, I usually end up keeping the horses for lessons, or give them to 4-H kids. Good Luck!!

appylover31803 02-20-2008 11:30 PM

petfinder.com is also a good place to look to rescue a horse. I'm not sure if there are places in Canada (never looked, so i don't know) but there are a lot of horses on there.

and YAY! i'm so excited for you! definitely keep us updated

Abby 02-21-2008 01:05 AM

You can get great deals on horses from EquineHits.com. Go there, there are more ads placed there than a lot of other sites because they offer free text/picture ads. Check it out, its great. There are rescue horses listed there and instead of rescuing a horse from a rescue, rescue a horse before it even has to go there, there are a lot abused horses for sale that people are too stupid to realize their baby is starving to death but they try to sell it anyway. Rescue organization can miss these kinds of horses or find them too late.