The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Help! Bathing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/help-bathing-62324/)

AdrienneS 08-15-2010 09:29 PM

Help! Bathing

OK I have been trying to give my 2 year old a bath all summer. He's a dirtball lol loves to lay in the mud!! BUT He HATES water of all kinds: puddles , buckets, hose, anything. I don't know what else to do. I can rub the hose on him(off) and he doesn't budge but once it's on no way!! he's out of there like no buddies business! I've also tried spraying the hose around him to get him used to it and he's fine but once it touches him it's right back to the start. I've tried different attachments on the hose (ie: curry comb with the hose end) and that didn't work. I tried just pouring a bucket on him and that didn't work and i even scooped it with my hand and he didn't like that either. With him it's only water! I can throw tarps blankets swing ropes or even make loud noises...What I'm getting at is he's sacked out pretty good besides water... ANY Suggestions would be great!!

churumbeque 08-15-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdrienneS (Post 719657)
OK I have been trying to give my 2 year old a bath all summer. He's a dirtball lol loves to lay in the mud!! BUT He HATES water of all kinds: puddles , buckets, hose, anything. I don't know what else to do. I can rub the hose on him(off) and he doesn't budge but once it's on no way!! he's out of there like no buddies business! I've also tried spraying the hose around him to get him used to it and he's fine but once it touches him it's right back to the start. I've tried different attachments on the hose (ie: curry comb with the hose end) and that didn't work. I tried just pouring a bucket on him and that didn't work and i even scooped it with my hand and he didn't like that either. With him it's only water! I can throw tarps blankets swing ropes or even make loud noises...What I'm getting at is he's sacked out pretty good besides water... ANY Suggestions would be great!!

Start at his feet and slowly work your way up. Hold him untied so he doesn't panic.

Helly 08-15-2010 09:58 PM

Perhaps you could pop him in a chifney for some extra control - just incase he decides to leg it - and have a helper to either hold him or spray him, and let him run circles around you if he wants but just keep spraying, even if you start with his legs first and work up.. only a surgestion :-):-) good look!

kaydeebug 08-15-2010 10:00 PM

i would more then likely start at his feet and go up. if he will not stand hobble him. but no matter what do not let him get away with it or else he will do it all the time. but i would put him in an area where its a little bigger hobble him and start spraying him legs up

AdrienneS 08-15-2010 10:04 PM

His feet are the worst!!! lol and I've tried just letting him circle and kept spraying and he just keeps going no matter what I do. I haven't tried hobbling tho so maybe I'll give that a try! Thanks for the replys!

Helly 08-15-2010 10:07 PM

My 4 year old used to trot around me whilst i was hosing her off, i just kept the hose on her till i'm finished gave her a carrot and turned her out, now she stands solid as a rock to have it done, she just learnt there's no point in running around, perhaps have it on shower and just spray it on either his back or neck?

kaydeebug 08-15-2010 10:07 PM

thats more then likely what youll have to do cause he cant move his front feet with hobbles on

Alicia 08-15-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helly (Post 719689)
My 4 year old used to trot around me whilst i was hosing her off, i just kept the hose on her till i'm finished gave her a carrot and turned her out, now she stands solid as a rock to have it done, she just learnt there's no point in running around,

I also agree with starting with his feet.

mmpgrumpy 08-15-2010 10:39 PM

We have a filly like that at my barn. To rinse her, we turn the hose on so that there's barely any water coming out and she'll stand still. Maybe start there and work your way up to spraying and bathing?