The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   I bought 3 kill pen horses from the auction (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/i-bought-3-kill-pen-horses-62328/)

Gump 08-15-2010 09:15 PM

I bought 3 kill pen horses from the auction

All 3 are dead broke and have zero vices and any child could ride which makes me extremely happy BUT I was waiting for some kind of problem.

The rocky mountian was breathing funny, no noises just fast off and on. It did not increase when he was ridden. Then he developed a clear runny nose. A few days later green then yellow and white and clear. His lymph nodes do not seem to be swollen the same as the mare. Now the mare has a yellow discharge on one side and swollen lymph nodes in between the jaws. Sounds like Strangles I think. Vets coming out tomorrow. I am hoping it's not and only form 3 feed changes et cetera.

kaydeebug 08-15-2010 09:18 PM

it sounds like a bad case of a stage of a cold. i had a two year old colt that had all that realy bad and the vet just told me he had a cold. so i wasted a $55 vet check for him to tell me he had a cold. im sure the vet will tell you to get a dosage of penicillin and a shot a day.

corinowalk 08-15-2010 09:25 PM

What you would have to worry about with strangles is getting other horses sick. Strangles itself...as long as it is straight forward and not a '*******' strain...is a pretty nasty infection that usually looks worse than it is. It is however highly contagious. If they arent in good health, this could get hairy. If they are fat and otherwise healthy...a good strong antibiotic and stall rest until the abcesses bust and drain and all will be well.

Good luck with them. If it is just a cold...you certainly did luck out getting 3 good horses!

Gump 08-15-2010 10:00 PM

Thanks.

dee 08-17-2010 05:34 PM

What was the verdict?

Gump 08-17-2010 08:26 PM

He had a 103 fever. She gave him a shot of pain killer similiar to Asprin and then I give him antibiotics in the morning and night. She wasn't sure didn't think it was Strangles. Hopefully some average bug he caught at the auction barn.

LoveStory10 08-18-2010 11:01 AM

I hope he's ok? You should be very proud for rescueing them from a terrible fate :)

mls 08-18-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gump (Post 722195)
He had a 103 fever. She gave him a shot of pain killer similiar to Asprin and then I give him antibiotics in the morning and night. She wasn't sure didn't think it was Strangles. Hopefully some average bug he caught at the auction barn.

She didn't test to see if it is strep?!

Gump 08-18-2010 04:07 PM

No she didn't. I'm monitoring his state and will call her shortly.

Luv 2 Trail 08-18-2010 04:36 PM

:-)Glad your Vet doesn't think you are dealing with Strangles. You are a very special person to have saved those horses from a bad outcome! Hope you are only dealing with something that's going to be an easy fix!
Best of luck! Congratulations on your new horses!