The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Warning: Explicit cleaning! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/warning-explicit-cleaning-6233/)

melinda27858 02-20-2008 07:24 PM

Warning: Explicit cleaning!

Okay, so I only just entered the wonderful world of horse ownership a few months ago, and still have a LOT to learn!
My expert horse friend and I have had this ongoing joke about learning the ins and outs of sheath cleaning, although quite honestly I wasn't thrilled about it. Well, I had my cleaning lesson yesterday and I have got to tell everyone who has avoided the ordeal that I am SOOOO glad that I learned!
Apparently, the previous owner NEVER had my gelding's sheath cleaned as it was quite nasty. My friend and I spent half an hour working at making him squeaky clean. Of course I am not just telling you all this so that you can "ewww" at me....I want you to know how it benefited my horse!
I have never seen him "play" in his pasture and he is only 5. Yesterday after his cleaning, he bounded around in circles bucking and kicking as if he had never been happier! Today I rode him in our arena and he ACTUALLY PICKED UP HIS FEET! I had been thinking for the past several weeks that I would need to have the vet out to look at his back legs as he was dragging them constantly, but today he didn't at all!
I have seen other gelding owners on other forums swear up and down that they wouldn't be caught dead cleaning their boy...I wouldn't be caught dead NOT cleaning it now!

Just thought I would share!
Melinda

Vidaloco 02-20-2008 07:59 PM

I have mares but I clean between their teets pretty regular. I know people driving by seeing me with my hand between their legs wonder what in the heck I'm doing :lol: I'm sure your boy appreciates your efforts. I know my girls love getting all the gunk out.
Someone with boys may know more, but I think they make a sheath cleaning towelette to make it easier. ?

wiresalot 02-20-2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

To the tune of "If you're happy and you know it"...

If it's hanging and you see it lube your hands
If it's hanging and you see it lube your hands
If it's hanging and you see it
Grab it quick it's time to clean it
If it's hanging and you see it lube your hands.

If it's peely and it's crusty pick it off
If it's peely and it's crusty pick it off
If it's peely and it's crusty
and the smell is kind of musty
If it's peely and it's crusy pick it off

If his weenie has a beanie dig it out
If his weeny has a beanie dig it out
If his weiner has a beaner
Pull it out and he'll be cleaner
If his weenie has a beenie dig it out

Now he's happy and you know it wash your hands
Now he's happy and you know it wash your hands
It's a job that's kind of kinky
And now your hands are really stinky
But he's happy and you know it wash your hands.
Welcome to having a male. This was something i found while researching the cleaning process.

Have fun.

Vidaloco 02-21-2008 08:23 AM

First laugh of the day....Thanks

melinda27858 02-21-2008 09:14 AM

Too funny!!! Thanks for the entertainment!

Abby 02-21-2008 02:39 PM

My moms gelding has a horrible horrible sheath, Its crusty and gunky and nasty and whenever he gets excited, he was gelded recently and so he still lets things loose time to time, we can see how terrible it is. Once the weather is warm we'll buy sheath soap and get on it, my horse had his buddy cleaned before I bought him so i don't have to worry until this coming fall.

free_sprtd 02-21-2008 03:01 PM

OMG WIRES!!!! THAT IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HILARIOUS!!! I COULDNT STOP LAUGHING LOLLLAHFDSAHFLKHDSALKFHSLFKHSDFKJLS LKJAHFSA

oh man...once the weather gets nice, i have to do my guy...I hope it's ok to wear gloves?

AKPaintLover 02-21-2008 03:25 PM

I have three to do this spring. One is not a fan of his nethers being handled, but his rider (ak_showgirl) has done a fine job of desensitizing him, and he is very good for her about it. :) My stallion usually gets a light cleaning during baths, so he is pretty used to it, but he is definitely due for a good cleanout.

Fun times (sarcasm)!

appylover31803 02-21-2008 03:26 PM

I have a gelding, going to have him for almost a year come this April. We haven't cleaned his sheath and i don't know how he'll react. He doesn't really like around there being touched since we got him. Do you think it is because he's dirty? And what are ways to go about cleaning a gelding that doesn't like it?

AKPaintLover 02-21-2008 03:30 PM

Appyluver,

Desensitize, desensitize, desensitize! During every grooming session work down toward that area while watching his body language, and make it a comfortable part of grooming and bathing. Don't brush is obviously, but work at running your hand toward it and over the sheath area (in time). ak_showgirl can give more specifics, as she has been working on just the problem for the last couple of years with her boy.

If all else fails, when the vet is out to do teeth or other sedations required things...pay the vet to do it. :)