The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Half Arab mare that I am considering to buy, Help?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/half-arab-mare-i-am-considering-62378/)

Isabelle84 08-16-2010 04:16 AM

Half Arab mare that I am considering to buy, Help?!

So, I have my big paint mare, but she is a booger to ride, and I'd rather not get an injury when I can find myself a decent riding horse.

So, I thought, well, I want to buy a horse that I can train myself, or is already trained. So I have been looking and looking and I have totally ignored the most obvious answer.

The man across the street from the farm my two horses are at has a cute half arab cross, which, I have known since she was a day old, and I taught her how to lead, tie, bathe& stand for the farrier. I have ridden her about 3 or 4 times, and she is very green, but is very smooth also. The man said if he ever sells his property that Anna would be mine, (2 yrs ago) and now, he is selling his property because he is getting divorced, and he offered me her, but I said I would love to, but would have to think about it.

I don't know, what do you think? Does it sound okay? Would you go for it if you were me? I have alot of trust in her and she is a great horse.

Sorry for this whole long "story" and thank you so much for reading!:D Sorry if it's in the wrong place!

reyvin 08-16-2010 06:00 AM

i'd take her. but then i am partial to arabs! ;-P

White Foot 08-16-2010 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabelle84 (Post 720033)
So, I have my big paint mare, but she is a booger to ride, and I'd rather not get an injury when I can find myself a decent riding horse.

So, I thought, well, I want to buy a horse that I can train myself, or is already trained. So I have been looking and looking and I have totally ignored the most obvious answer.

Well, you obviously can't train your own horse, so that should be out of the picture completely unless you want to hire a trainer. :? Let me lay this out for you... you want to buy a green horse, to train? Correct?. When you can't even train the horse you have?

SugarPlumLove 08-16-2010 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabelle84 (Post 720033)

Let me remind you that you are looking for a DECENT riding horse that you feel safe on. I cannot imagine you feeling safe on a green horse. You ARE making a mistake. You should look for a horse in its teens that has seen it and done it ALL!

Also if you take this horse and cannot ride it properly then you are also letting the horse suffer because it cannot be ridden to its full potential and it will probably end up in a pasture looking like it is pregnant.

Please do not make a choice that you will seriously regret in the VERY near future!!!!

kitten_Val 08-16-2010 12:59 PM

To me the OP sounds like a responsible person trying to look at different options and look for other people opinions before making a decision.

I actually have no problem with people taking in green horses if they wish to donate lots of time and either work with the trainer or know how to train. And the person clearly understands what means taking in youngster or a green horse (and I've been there and regret I didn't know everything I know these days when I was making my own decision). I also have no problem if someone takes a horse in as a pet due to certain reasons (health issues, and so on).

You have to honestly ask yourself:
What are your goals with the horse?
Are you a good rider gentle hands and good seat, who will be able to sit through the spook, bolt, buck, etc. (unless you send her to the trainer to put mileage on)?
Do you have money for the trainer and there is one around you can use? (from your post it sounds like you don't have experience training horses)

teagan 08-16-2010 01:33 PM

it sounds like you already have a bond with this horses witch is great if you think you can work with her and trainer her and feel safe then you should go for it

Cheshire 08-16-2010 01:58 PM

If you have a good trainer lined up, I say yes.

She sounds nice, but I can not imagine trading in anything for a green horse because it is a "safer option"! If you want a greenie, you want the challenge of moulding a young horse how you see fit, which should never be undertaken by a novice trainer, which I assume you are since you can not deal with your mare's issues.
If you want something that (probably) won't kill you, go buy or adopt something older and already trained. :)
IMO

payette 08-16-2010 02:11 PM

I agree that buying a green horse is probably not the best plan-I've done that, and find myself a year later with an only-slightly-less- green horse, because I didn't devote the time. . . but, I will add that some horses are born more "trained" than others. When I was 12 I was given a 3/4 arab 4 year old mare who was only halterbroken. Being 12, and having recently read "the black stallion" I figured training a horse would be a breeze :rofl: and the funny thing was- it was! That little horse turned out to be the sanest, safest, most reliable, gorgeous little horse around! I sold her 7 years later to a 15 year old girl who won everything you could win on her, and she went on to give lessons on her after that.
Was I a trainer? Nope! Have I ever had that kind of ease with a green horse again? Nope! Can you count on success like that? Nope! BUT, occasionally it does happen. . .

Cobalt 08-16-2010 02:19 PM

Do you just not like your paint mare? If you are willing to invest time and money into a horse, why not just invest in the one you have? Personally, if I were worried for my safety and looking for an "easier" horse to handle, I'd get a tried and true, been there done that horse. It takes a lot of riding to get a horse to that point, and you will have a long way to go.

Isabelle84 08-16-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobalt (Post 720404)
Do you just not like your paint mare? If you are willing to invest time and money into a horse, why not just invest in the one you have? Personally, if I were worried for my safety and looking for an "easier" horse to handle, I'd get a tried and true, been there done that horse. It takes a lot of riding to get a horse to that point, and you will have a long way to go.

No, I love my paint mare, she is easygoing and sweet. I just want a horse I can ride. I think the more experianced with the other horse, the more i'll work on Rae(my paint)