The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Gooseneck or bumper pull? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/gooseneck-bumper-pull-62398/)

kmdstar 08-16-2010 10:41 AM

Gooseneck or bumper pull?

Which do you prefer and why? I'll begin shopping for my first trailer in a month but don't know if I should look for GN or BP, so what are your opinions?

churumbeque 08-16-2010 10:51 AM

I would go on what you are using it for. If you do lots of traveling or camping the gooseneck is nice to sleep in. If you just use it for short trips a bumper pull is very conveniant. I have had many of both and the GN is a pain to hook and unhook so I have enough vehicles that I can leave it hooked up all the time. I also have a LQ so gn but like a bp also

myQHpaul 08-16-2010 12:39 PM

I will be buying my first trailer in a few short months and my barn owner said that bumper pulls are great. They are easier to drive, back up, and park. Good luck with your search.

Vidaloco 08-16-2010 12:43 PM

I prefer a bumper pull because I use my truck for more than just pulling a trailer. I like having a topper on my truck so a goose neck is definitely out.

kmdstar 08-16-2010 01:29 PM

So it sounds like a bumper pull might be the best bet?

I wouldn't be hauling alot or too far, just to some local shows and trails every summer hopefully.

lilruffian 08-16-2010 01:55 PM

I like bumperpulls only because any truck (as long as it has a hitch) can hook up to it.
Goosnecks are nice, because they provide a smoother ride for the horse, they're easier to turn/backup (ive found) & the tack rooms are bigger & you can ususally sleep in them uptop if you're camping ;)

Vidaloco 08-16-2010 01:56 PM

For maneuvering in tight spots a gooseneck is probably better. For general driving down the road and turning a corner on a city street, a bumper pull is going to track behind the truck. The gooseneck takes more room to make a turn. That's one of my likes for a bp.
I'm a good trailer backer uppper (is that a word?) so either one on that point. Some think a bp is easier some a gn.

kmdstar 08-16-2010 02:03 PM

Okay so I'm definately thinking bumper pull! Now, does anyone want to weigh in on trucks? :shock: I was thinking Ford F150 or F250 or a Dodge. I read another thread on here that was about five pages about what truck everyone thinks is best but it was everyone saying different things basically LOL so I'm kind of left clueless.

mls 08-16-2010 02:09 PM

Gooseneck. We have two - LOVE them both. I can turn around anywhere!

We have F350's.

lilruffian 08-16-2010 02:09 PM

Thats probably just their prefered brand lol (ford people, dodge people, chev people lol)My boyfriend & his mother pull the horse trailers with ford F150's, my friend pulls her with a dodge & my dad pulls ours with the dodge durango.
I think that so long as it has a V8 (or something like that lol) in it, you'll be fine.
Of course, the bigger the trailer you buy & the more horses you haul you'll want a truck that can handle the weight.