The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   ... you would think he's a pleasure horse... (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/you-would-think-hes-pleasure-horse-62401/)

BuckOff41570 08-16-2010 11:13 AM

... you would think he's a pleasure horse...
 
... as lazy as he was being. I love my pony.



barrelracer892 08-16-2010 11:56 AM

He is beautiful! And looks like he rides like a dream!

Waybueno 08-16-2010 12:14 PM

You have a very nice horse, very responsive to you. And I love your riding and how you are patterning him, nice an slow and correct, Kudos. =]

BuckOff41570 08-16-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrelracer892 (Post 720293)
He is beautiful! And looks like he rides like a dream!

I'd say 99% of the time he does... the other 1% he's still better than the other horses in the barn. lol He's a good boy. Thank you!

BuckOff41570 08-16-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waybueno (Post 720313)
You have a very nice horse, very responsive to you. And I love your riding and how you are patterning him, nice an slow and correct, Kudos. =]

Thank you! Slow I'm good at... it's when we start running that things get tricky. lol

Waybueno 08-16-2010 03:34 PM

Well everything's gonna get a little trickier the faster you go. If you have issues running the course(not saying you do just "if") then slow down to a fast lope until you feel like you have got that down then ask for alittle more speed and jsut build up from there. You look great right now.

BuckOff41570 08-16-2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waybueno (Post 720626)
Well everything's gonna get a little trickier the faster you go. If you have issues running the course(not saying you do just "if") then slow down to a fast lope until you feel like you have got that down then ask for alittle more speed and jsut build up from there. You look great right now.

Complications were the reason for restarting him. He was started by another trainer on the pattern, and while the other trainer is a good trainer... it's not my style. (More of a run in stiff and roll back hard... I prefer a fluid low smooth turn) So the best thing I can think of was to restart him on the whole thing. lol


Here he was... He's very talented. But he tended to be very on the muscle and ran into the bridle more. I like a simple bump and turn style.


I'm excited to see how he does down the road.

Waybueno 08-16-2010 03:55 PM

Oh wow im not a fan of that. He looked good but he did look alittle stiff to me running up to that first barrel especially if she had more bend in him he would have had a better first turn. Well Good luck with the re-training. Its what I had to do with my horse to.

BuckOff41570 08-16-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waybueno (Post 720658)
Oh wow im not a fan of that. He looked good but he did look alittle stiff to me running up to that first barrel especially if she had more bend in him he would have had a better first turn. Well Good luck with the re-training. Its what I had to do with my horse to.

lol... that was me running him. Granted, it was my second time riding him. Just didnt reach down far enough... but yes, he's a stiff runner. I dont like it because he has a tendacy to drop his shoulder in and come off the barrel strong. And let me tell you, he's strong. The problem he has is if you get his nose, without getting his ribcage, he gets noodley. So you have to really work on using legs and keeping him in a strong frame.
But hey, practice makes perfect.

Waybueno 08-16-2010 04:07 PM

Lol oh yeah, you kinda looked almost stuck in your first. I'v ran stiff barrel horses before and I know exactly what your talking about. I used to run a horse that would run amazing times but was horribly stiff. He was hard to bend, he would run to the barrel shoulder up and as soon as were at the barrel he'd drop it hard. He was a pain if he was my horse I would have retrained him but that wasnt my job. Well like I said you look great on him.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0