The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   going to see horse tomorrow! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/going-see-horse-tomorrow-62415/)

dizzynurse 08-16-2010 12:56 PM

going to see horse tomorrow!

I am going to look at a horse tomorrow. Is there any thing special I should ask or look for? If I like hime and he rides nice I will have my cousin come out and double check for me plus have a vet check done. I am so excited! But I want to keep a level head.

Speed Racer 08-16-2010 01:14 PM

How exciting for you. But yes, keep a level head.

Ask about vices (cribbing, weaving, food aggression, etc.), any old injuries you might need to know about, how he gets along with other horses, does he need to be shod, what supplements, if any, he's on, does he load well, stand for the farrier, bathe, does he accept paste wormer, etc.

All the things a well trained horse should already know how to do, basically. :D

corinowalk 08-16-2010 01:16 PM

I try to go at horse buying in a scientific way. Write a list at home of all the questions you need answered. That way you don't just see a beautiful horse and yourself flying through a field of daisys. You see an expensive investment. Heres a few that are always on my list

How does this horse get along with other horses?
What is his feed regimen?
How often are his feet done and does he require shoes?
Up-to-date on shots? Coggins? Worming?
Always healthy?
Always sound?
Trail ride alone?
Trailers well?
Stall habits? Cribbing, weaving, stall kicker?

Riding wise I always ask as many discipline related questions that I can think of. I trail ride so here are some of mine

Crosses water? Bridges?
Spooky?
Goes out alone?
What type of bit?
Requires shoes?
In shape or needs work?
Sure footed?

Good luck! I love horse shopping!

dizzynurse 08-17-2010 10:42 AM

Thanks everyone!! I just emailed my questions!