The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   English saddle recommendations (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/english-saddle-recommendations-62426/)

Cobalt 08-16-2010 03:17 PM

English saddle recommendations

I am looking for an english saddle. I prefer a used saddle, as my money will go further, but can't seem to find just what I want/need. I'm directing my search to a new saddle. Looking for recommendations for the best english saddles for around $1000. Thoughts?

kitten_Val 08-16-2010 10:17 PM

$1000 is not bad at all actually. Say, Dover sells demo models with the very good discounts from time to time, so you may want to look into that. What TYPE of saddle are you looking?

Cobalt 08-16-2010 11:36 PM

A/P or dressage. Don't want a jumping saddle with forward flaps or big knee/thigh blocks. Need a wide tree, which is where it starts getting tricky! 17" seat.

reachthestars 08-17-2010 06:15 AM

You can often find used Bates Caprilli AP saddles on ebay for under $1000. Bates is a fantastic brand, and you have the added bonus of the adjustable gullet.

kitten_Val 08-17-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobalt (Post 721241)
A/P or dressage. Don't want a jumping saddle with forward flaps or big knee/thigh blocks. Need a wide tree, which is where it starts getting tricky! 17" seat.

Thornhill (Thornhill Saddles from Maryland Tack, Inc., slide all way down, ~$800 for Vienna), Collegiate (see Dover or ValleyVet, I believe it's ~$850), Marcel Toulouse (Saddles from Maryland Tack, Inc., he also carry MT dressage I just tried on my horse, I believe it's ~$900). I'm in same boat as you at the moment so look at all those options. All have wide tree (and even X-wide for Thornhill).

KcFinancialBurn 08-17-2010 12:06 PM

I ride English Pleasure and I got a HDR (Henry D. Rival) and I love it! It is so comfy. It wasn't too expensive, it was around $800 new but used ones are less. They are good for jumping or pleasure or just riding around. The only thing that I don't like is that my Paint had to get an extra wide tree. But, thats my horse I guess. I hoped I helped!

~Not many people change from Barrels to Western Pleasure, I must be a werido. :P

KittyCat 08-17-2010 10:45 PM

Don't know if you can get em in exactly what you are looking for, I think so, but older Pessoa and Toulouse saddles last forever and are relatively inexpensive.