The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   High Withers, Narrow horse = Frusturation (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/high-withers-narrow-horse-%3D-frusturation-62432/)

Fifty 08-16-2010 04:07 PM

High Withers, Narrow horse = Frusturation

-Skip to the summary if you don't feel like reading--***

So my horse has high withers. He is an appendix quarter horse and is built like a thoroughbred.

So I have had 4 saddles. The first one fit him, but it was a huge trail, poor quality, king series saddle. I hated it. So I got one I was told was semi-qh bars, but it layed right on his withers after tightening the cinch, then measured it and it was full qh bars. So I talked to his old owner (owned him for 8 years) and she said he needs semi-qh bars. So after searching for a while, I found a saddle I really liked with Semi-QH bars. I'm sure this one is semi-qh bars. After I tighten it, it doesn't have any contact with the withers, and there is about 2 finger clearance there.

After I sit in the saddle and ride for 10 minutes, the clearance is down to about 1 finger and it get's so close that I get worried about hurting him. He doesn't show any signs of it hurting him, but I want to make sure there will stay full wither clearance while riding. Right now I have 1/2 inch thick saddle pads, and I thought maybe if I get a 1inch thick, all wool, high quality saddle pad that it will stay full clearance. Or get one of those BIOFIT Classic equine pads that I really like.

I personally think that he lost a lot of his muscles, including his shoulders, which makes him too narrow for a lot of the Semi-QH bar saddles. So I think once I start working him again, and the muscles get built up a little more, the saddle will fit perfectly.

So I have been trying to look for a thick, or built up, round skirt saddle pad since my saddle is round skirt, but I will take a square skirt too because I want him to be comfortable obviously.

SUMMARY-
My horse is narrow, I can't find a saddle that is narrow enough for him. I found one that fits him really well but it get's close to his withers and I worry about irritating him while I'm riding. I use a 1/2 inch thick pad right now. If I get a 1inch pad, or something like the Classic Equine Biofit, I think it would leave full clearance of the withers. I am looking for a thick or built up pad that will help my saddle fit. I would like round skirt, but square skirt is good, too. I know he lost a lot of his muscle, and after I start working him and he gains more muscle the saddle should fit him fine. Any pad suggestions or suggestions on how to make the saddle fit better(for now)?

Thank you so much for reading all that (If you did) and responding(If you did) :)

kaydeebug 08-16-2010 04:12 PM

i use two pads. generally horses with high withers you want to use two pads no matter what. then it wont matter where the saddle is placed as long as its in the correct spot. my horse doesnt even have high withers but she still has them. but always use two pads. that is extra padding for the horse and will feel more comfortable

Vidaloco 08-16-2010 04:15 PM

You might want to look into gaited horse tree. They are usually made for narrow short backed horses. Most have a flare in the front for better shoulder movement as well.

Fifty 08-16-2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco (Post 720685)
You might want to look into gaited horse tree. They are usually made for narrow short backed horses. Most have a flare in the front for better shoulder movement as well.

My horse is a Barrel Horse though so.. I think it would look a little weird barrel racing in a gaited saddle, lol, plus I want to keep my saddle.

Here's a link to the Biofit Pad I was looking at? http://cgi.ebay.com/BioFit-Correctio...efaultDomain_0

Vidaloco 08-16-2010 04:31 PM

Sorry I missed that you just want to pad up.
I would recommend a Skito pad. If you call them and tell them what you want they will make shims to put in the pad for a correct fit.
Plus you can take the pads out and wash the outside which is nice. I've had one that I have used for several years. Just throw it in the wash and it looks brand new.
"Skito Custom Saddle Pads"

kaydeebug 08-16-2010 04:34 PM

i would think i skitto pad wouldnt do much for the high withers may give more protection closer to the front of the shoulders and shoulder blades. but high withers its sometimes very easily thrown off with a horses comfort level cause you dont want the saddle or anything rubbing or irritating it the wrong way.... like said i would use two pads or have a custom made saddle pad that is jsut regular and have more padding put in it

Vidaloco 08-16-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifty (Post 720689)
My horse is a Barrel Horse though so.. I think it would look a little weird barrel racing in a gaited saddle, lol, plus I want to keep my saddle.

Here's a link to the Biofit Pad I was looking at? BioFit Correction Saddle Pad Black 30 x 30 - eBay (item 120609886979 end time Sep-15-10 07:11:01 PDT)

Not that it matters but if you were looking for a new saddle, you can have any type of saddle built on any type of tree. A gaited saddle tree is naturally built for a narrower (read not QH) horse.
If you don't want to go with a custom saddle then I would suggest you look into a custom pad like the Skito. They can build up or down any pad you want.

kaydeebug 08-16-2010 04:48 PM

FIFTY i barrel race too and pole bend..... i think we need to speak... i think we may have had the same problem.

Fifty 08-16-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaydeebug (Post 720734)
FIFTY i barrel race too and pole bend..... i think we need to speak... i think we may have had the same problem.

I have used 2 saddle pads before, but I really don't like using two saddle pads. They probably get really hot for the horse and move around a lot while riding. That's why I was looking for a single, thicker wool pad or a built up pad.

kaydeebug 08-16-2010 05:14 PM

ya i having a cooling pad and a pad for the withers. the cooling pad is a lot thinner and lighter and not as big and the regular pad just has extra padding and it helps alot