The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Counter canter (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/counter-canter-62452/)

MaggiStar 08-16-2010 07:41 PM

Counter canter

I recently decided to teach my horse coun ter canter just for something to do she seemed fairly balanced and is evenly developed though she does favour her right rein. I have successfully taught this horse to leg yield and turn on the forehand and haunches we are getting rein back also.

However she counter canters fine on the straight and on uphill corners but once i go to the downside she falls on to the forehand and breaks into a trot.

Is this a riding issue on my behalf or is she not balanced enough to carry ouit this exercise she isnt a young horse she is 11 but only really riding from the age of six. She is vary athletically built also

Spyder 08-16-2010 10:00 PM

Doesn't matter her age. The counter canter requires a more advanced stage of balance and when you are first teaching this to ANY age horse they will have balance issues in the beginning.

To put the horse in a downhill position when their balance is not solid is rushing the training and is no wonder he falls on the forehand and out of gait.

Keep it simple.

~*~anebel~*~ 08-19-2010 12:47 PM

Yes it is easy to ask for too much in the beginning. In reality it can take a year from beginning counter canter to be able to counter canter through the short side of the arena.
A good exercise to begin doing the counter canter on curves is to start in true canter and ride from the corner, the the first quarterlin, back to the far corner. This is called a shallow loop. As the horse progresses the difficulty can be increased by taking the loop to the centerline.
Good luck!

MaggiStar 08-19-2010 01:38 PM

Oh ok cool thanks! I will slow it down and try develop her balance more