The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xpost:10 yr old mini, first time teeth floated, now having difficulty eating

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  dirtymartini 
#1 ·
I have copied and pasted my question from the miniature horse forum here. I just figured this forum might get more traffic, and my problem is not mini horse specific.

post #1-Just had my mini's teeth floated today. The farrier says it looks like they have never been done. Now he is eating VERY slowly...I feel so bad for him, you can tell he is in pain or discomfort! Is this normal? I had my other mini's teeth floated 6 months ago, and he ate like nothing ever happened.

post#2-Ok, I am freaking out...I am almost in tears here! He can barely chew, food keep falling out of his mouth. I called my friend who has a horse, she says maybe his teeth were overfloated. She told me I should never let the farrier float teeth (my farrier is also an "equine dentist" so I thought it was ok.)

He did not use a power tool...I know it is easier to overfloat using a power tool.

So, if he did overfloat...how can that be remedied? I feel just awful, I feel SICK about this.

A little side story...I had his (Boo's) teeth floated because he had a foul smell coming from his mouth. I think he may have an abscess or something. I am going to have a vet out, will call tomorrow...but the farrier (he was here to trim Bruno's hooves) said he might as well float Boo's teeth, because he could feel that they were very sharp, and maybe they are causing a cut in his mouth that got infected. So I said ok, made sense to me...and now the poor baby can barely eat.

PLEASE give me some advice! It is breaking my heart to see the food falling from his mouth (although he does finally eat it all, he just looks miserable and it takes him 3 times as long as usual.)

See less See more
#2 ·
Poor little guy. All I can suggest is to wet his food so he can eat it more easily until the vet can get out there to see what's going on. Hopefully it's just a little soreness from a slight overtrim and he'll feel better soon.

#3 ·
I really hope you are right...but I am so afraid you are not.:cry:

I mean...I am sure other horses have had their teeth overfloated. What does an owner do in that case? Is there ANYTHING I can do besides giving soft food? I will wet his pellets today (he only gets a handful, morning and night) but what about his hay? I wish I could grind it up for him.

To me, he seems depressed. I have not really seen him grazing since this happened, he just stands there, watching my other mini.

I am VERY upset by this. I pray that it is just a temporary soreness!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.