The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   training a barrel racer? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/training-barrel-racer-62500/)

lopez 08-17-2010 05:42 AM

training a barrel racer?

I have a 12-13 year old Quarter Horse gelding that I would LOVE to barrel race on. The thing is, I'm not quite sure how to do it. Do I just set up the barrel's and walk them a few times then go up into a trot or is there something else I should do?

: )

BuckOff41570 08-17-2010 08:16 AM

I really suggest attending a clinic or finding a reputable trainer for an intro course.

BarrelRacer86 08-17-2010 10:52 AM

Agree with first post. But no your horse needs to know the basics of side passing, leg yields, bending, roll backs ect. before it even sees the pattern. And you should walk the pattern for at the very least half a week before you even trot. And if he blows the turns at a trot, drop back down to a walk. You also want to bend them around the barrels, using your inside leg and rein. and move them out into a "pocket" going into the barrels, them come off as close as you can get, then point him straight at the next barrel and repeat. Plus it takes about 2 weeks of consistantly trotting the pattern before most horses are able to canter and even then you have to work with them to pick up the right leads going into each barrel.
That is my complete crash course, because its hard to explain it all through typing.

It's a long process like any other training for a dicipline. You would benifit by finding a trainer to help you. It would also save alot of time.

JRL 08-17-2010 03:21 PM

I agree with barrelracer86...not only will having someone who knows what they are doing help save time but it will also help keep you from teaching your horse bad habits and/or make them sour to the sport. Most people think that barrel racing is just hoping on a horse and running around a few barrels...its not! It takes time and patience like any other discipline. Take your time and do it right! You and your horse will enjoy the sport alot more in the long run.

PaintedFury 08-22-2010 07:07 PM

BarrelRacer86 and JRL are both correct. A seasoned trainer can also help make sure that you are set up correctly, and possibly give you some riding lessons on a seasoned barrel horse, so you will know what it's supposed to feel like. The more experience you can gain from the trainer, the better off you and your horse will be.