The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   What drugs are acceptable for NRHA? (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/what-drugs-acceptable-nrha-62509/)

JustinW 08-17-2010 09:57 AM

What drugs are acceptable for NRHA?
 
I recently went to a show to watch some friends. It was a good size NRHA approved show. I noticed the trainer filling a needle to give to a horse shortly before going out. I was told "some drugs are acceptable to NRHA but not to AQHA". I was wondering what they are giving them?

mls 08-17-2010 10:07 AM

NRHA - National Reining Horse Association

Put your question to the experts.

JustinW 08-17-2010 10:14 AM

If anyone knows please reply here. If you didn't know that they are using them and what you might also be curious.

nrhareiner 08-17-2010 11:26 AM

As of now NRHA has no drug policy for NRHA shows/classes. If the show is has an AQHA class or an EFI class then their drug polices would be used.

StylishK 08-18-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinW (Post 721454)
I recently went to a show to watch some friends. It was a good size NRHA approved show. I noticed the trainer filling a needle to give to a horse shortly before going out. I was told "some drugs are acceptable to NRHA but not to AQHA". I was wondering what they are giving them?

like NRHAreiner said NRHA has no drug laws, while AQHA is very strict.

Reiners give their horses drugs to dose them down and a few dose them up, but not many. A lot of times reiners are so responsive that they can get so excited and react before you even ask them. They start predicting things.

I noticed its more common at the big futurities and I believe its to just chill the horse out a bit so they don't start getting ahead of you.

You have to be careful though because you sedate them too much and you won't be able to preform the manuvers correctly.

This is why I think NRHA doesn't have drug laws, first off I think its pretty common at the big shows like the NRHA Futurity and Derby, and not to mention if you drug them too much you mess yourself up anyways.

I myself don't want to show a drugged horse, so I don't drug my reiners. However, I can understand the want to on a horse you think you have lined up to win the NRHA futurity.

nrhareiner 08-18-2010 01:20 PM

Most of what you see is Bute. There are a few who may use other things to calm the horse down especially some of the younger ones but you loose just as much as you gain a lot of times. So most do not do it. They just put more show miles on the horse.

addictedtoreining 08-18-2010 02:12 PM

most well bred reiners are extremely chilled. I couldn't imagine one drugged... Probably wouldn't get much of a response, be like riding a sack of potatoes.

however I have heard that some of the reiners can be a little hot (they get excited and don't calm down fast) so maybe this is where the bute comes into play?

I am a big believer that training should be able to stay away from drugs and etc... May just have to ride them 7 days a week and lots of wet saddles pads before a show....... Only reason i could think of using bute is for a beginner rider.... getting the horse down to the level of the rider...

nrhareiner 08-18-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by addictedtoreining (Post 722898)
however I have heard that some of the reiners can be a little hot (they get excited and don't calm down fast) so maybe this is where the bute comes into play?

Bute is like asprin. It has nothing to do with calming a horse or making esier to ride. It is for pain. You get a headach you take something. That is what bute does for horses.

StylishK 08-18-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by addictedtoreining (Post 722898)
most well bred reiners are extremely chilled. I couldn't imagine one drugged... Probably wouldn't get much of a response, be like riding a sack of potatoes.

however I have heard that some of the reiners can be a little hot (they get excited and don't calm down fast) so maybe this is where the bute comes into play?

I am a big believer that training should be able to stay away from drugs and etc... May just have to ride them 7 days a week and lots of wet saddles pads before a show....... Only reason i could think of using bute is for a beginner rider.... getting the horse down to the level of the rider...

I've known a few reiners who show on drugs. Diazepam is what a lot of people use around here. It's a mild sedative, it doesn't do much more than just make the horse feel relaxed.

Quote:

It is not used commonly on its own as a sedative in adult horses but can be used to sedate neonates. It generally is considered a safe choice in the young foal because it causes minimal cardiovascular depression, while providing good muscle relaxation and CNS depression. It is important to note that diazepam provides little or no analgesia.

JustinW 08-19-2010 07:59 AM

I know alot use Bute
 
Have you heard of many using ACE?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0