The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   What does everyone think bout spurs? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/what-does-everyone-think-bout-spurs-62572/)

barrelracer7335 08-17-2010 08:17 PM

What does everyone think bout spurs?

I personally use spurs on all of my horses 100% of the time. They just seem to respond better when i use my spurs. I also train all of my horses to move off of spur commands when i take them to a barrel. But i was just wondering what everyone else thought about spurs? good, bad, do you use them or not, if not why so?

horselovermae 08-17-2010 08:29 PM

i have only used spurs with one horse i ride because he is very pokey but they are just stubs if you know what i mean by that and i have no problem with them, i agree with you that that horses respond better so why ot use them as long as you are doing it properly and not cruelly.

barrelracer7335 08-17-2010 09:04 PM

Yes i do know what you mean by stubs and that makes sense for you to use them. I have a large range of spurs for each horse(they're all special horses) they range from bumpers all the way up to 12 pts that can do alot of harm if used wrong. Thanks for your reply

Waybueno 08-17-2010 09:08 PM

If you can go without them I would, it can make a horses sides rough just like being tough on their mouth can make their mouths hard. Some horses need them alot dont. My horse doesnt but when were running barrels I use a pair of bumper spurs. Which isnt really like a spur its just some lil bumpy metal thing on my boot that puts alittle pressure on his side.
http://images.auctionants.com/280201.jpg

Spyder 08-17-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrelracer7335 (Post 722193)
But i was just wondering what everyone else thought about spurs?

I'd be careful about squatting with them on, especially the pointy ones.:-P

DaraT 08-17-2010 09:27 PM

I don't think spurs are for everyone or every horse. If you don't know how to use spurs correctly, you can undo some of the hard work you've put into the horse's training or physically harm the horse.

My favorite trainer would not let you wear spurs until she graduated you to them. You had to have a trained quiet leg before she would let you use them.

I've trained both of my horses so the I could use spurs. I've done this because I have arthritis in my knees. As it progresses, I have the option to use spurs or not. At this time, I only use them when I ride my gelding. My mare is so responsive, I don't need to use them at all.

BuckOff41570 08-18-2010 07:25 AM

Typically, I dont use them on the current horses I have now. Every once in a while I'll put them on the lighten one up, but my horses have pretty soft sides and try to move off the leg when I ask them to. 99% of the time, I can correct them quickly and easily without the use of spurs.

I treat them as an extension of the heel. NOT as a means to gain speed.

barrelracer7335 08-18-2010 09:10 AM

I agree, I don't use my spurs for speed but as an extension like you said.
Posted via Mobile Device

KcFinancialBurn 08-18-2010 10:18 AM

personally I LOVE spurs! I also ride with them on 100% of the time. I also ride pleasure and in shows I wear them because he won't screw up. And in running games I wear them to go faster and turn her better. They are an amazing invention!

Hukassa 08-18-2010 09:28 PM

Spurs are fine, I just don't think for every horse. If you have a pokey horse that by the time your done riding your legs are on fire from all the leg you have to give them, then I'd use spurs. Not for an increase in pressure, but for the same just without so much use of your legs. Now if you have a horse like my mare where you can flex your calf or wiggle your heel and she'll move out, than no I would never use spurs on her. Its kind of under the "If you don't really need it, then don't use them" motto in my head:-)