The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse slaughter..?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-slaughter-62578/)

ShadowSpazzz 08-17-2010 09:26 PM

Horse slaughter..??

Is it still legal in the U.S.?? Where is it legal/illegal??

annaleah 08-17-2010 09:41 PM

I don't think it's legal in the US, but a while ago I had heard that they were trying to open one of the major slaughterhouses in DeKalb,IL, but I haven't really been keeping up with it. I know that one was one of the major ones that got shut down in the US among a few others, but not sure on where it all stands now. Sorry not much help.

ShadowSpazzz 08-17-2010 09:51 PM

Thanks I think I'll go look that certain slaughterhouse up!!

wyominggrandma 08-17-2010 11:09 PM

not legal right now. But, meat buyers are still buying horses then transport them to Canada or Mexico.
Personally I would rather see the meat plants opened up back in the US, at leas there are regulations and we know how they are put down.
Not sure about Canada, but Mexico is not regulated at all.

ShadowSpazzz 08-17-2010 11:25 PM

Alright thanks.. I've seen the methods they use and they are horrible :/

HorseRLife 08-17-2010 11:57 PM

how do they kill them?

My Beau 08-18-2010 06:30 AM

In the US they're killed with a well-placed shot in the head with a captive bolt gun , which is the way more humane than Canada & Mexico. In Canada I believe they're shot and in Mexico they're stabbed to death.

ShadowSpazzz 08-18-2010 02:52 PM

Well the video I saw they had this machine (prob the captive bolt gun) and they put the horse in this tiny stall-like compartment, then the machine touched the horse's back (must've "shot" it with a bolt) and the horse reacted violently, then in the neck and the poor horse could hardly stand, then in the head and the horse went down, struggling to get up but couldn't :/ It was awhile before it died. Not too humane IMO..

Speed Racer 08-18-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annaleah (Post 722270)
I don't think it's legal in the US

This is a common misconception. Except for certain individual states that have passed an equine slaughter ban, horse slaughter in the U.S. is indeed legal.

The sale of horse meat for human consumption is illegal, not slaughter itself. If you wanted to have your own animal butchered and put in your freezer to feed yourselves or your dogs, there's no law against it.

Alwaysbehind 08-18-2010 02:59 PM

SR is correct!