The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Do you think a barrel horse could be a pleasure horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/do-you-think-barrel-horse-could-62581/)

barrelracer7335 08-17-2010 09:45 PM

Do you think a barrel horse could be a pleasure horse?

My cousin recently bought a new horse because her pleasure horse is getting to old now. The people she bought the new horse from said he can run 1D in barrels and is also a top pleasure horse. First of all i counldn't believe that this horse could run as fast as they said but when i ran him he did take first in 1d.....so do you think he could also be a pleasure horse?

KcFinancialBurn 08-18-2010 09:24 AM

My first horse was a POA and I did EVERYTHING on her, I mean jumping, dressage, english pleasure, western pleasure, trail classes, and even barrels and other games. She excelled at running. So I chose to get a new horse for pleasure and quit with gaming. But she didn't sell so I have a gamer and a pleasure horse....

Anyways, from experience, gaming horses (good, fast ones) NEVER make good, winning, slow, relaxed pleasure horses. If you say you got 1st on him in 1d, thenI would NOT change him to pleasure.

Hope it helped!

P.S, I still barrel race and do pleasure...most people don't do both:)

barrelracer7335 08-18-2010 11:28 AM

Well we'll see how he does we have a pleasure show on Friday and my cousin is goin to ride him in it. Maybe he'll be good at both.....who knows.
Posted via Mobile Device

KcFinancialBurn 08-18-2010 12:02 PM

well i hope all goes well! keep me posted

barrelracer7335 08-18-2010 12:07 PM

I will keep you posted
Posted via Mobile Device

barrelracer7335 08-29-2010 09:39 PM

Well we took this horse to a few shows(barrels and pleasure). I got first in open jackpot barrels and in open 1D barrels. My cousin got first in open jackpot pleasure and in open horsemanship. Well I don't think this horse will be looking for a new home anytime soon! (:
Posted via Mobile Device

corinowalk 08-29-2010 09:50 PM

My first horse was exactly like this horse. Consistantly in the money in barrels and in pleasure. He also did well in english pleasure/eq and halter classes. He did speed classes best but was a rock star at pleasure. Horses that are trained right in timed events should be able to cross over.

smrobs 08-29-2010 10:29 PM

Now that is a sign of good training and a level headed horse. I wish more people would train versatility into their horses.

BarrelracingArabian 08-29-2010 11:19 PM

ther is a quarter horse mare at my barn that i can consistently win on in gymkhana but then take right into a pleasure show and she will place in there aswell .. so some horses with the right training can be both ..you just have to keep up on them

RiddingRawhide 09-06-2010 12:06 AM

Of course ! If it's trained well enough to , then sure ! My friend's top of the line WP show horse will do Barrels , she just exstends his canter , of course they don't place, but he does it. & So does my pony, he's trained for my body language, when I'm more forward, go faster, and more relaxed , go alot slower, and he's only 4.