The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Getting Back Into The Game... (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/getting-back-into-game-62629/)

KcFinancialBurn 08-18-2010 10:24 AM

Getting Back Into The Game...

My 14hh, 12 yr old POA mare and last July she pawed in the trailer and scraped up her leg pretty bad. That caused her to get an abcess( or however you spell it), so I couldn't ride her until this June. The vet said I could never run her again. But now she isn't limping and I have taken her to a field and have galloped all the away around it to loose some weight, how do I get her back into the game so that I can show her in May??

barrelracer7335 08-18-2010 11:40 AM

Well I had a big TB stud that got hurt on the track and the vet said he wouldnt be able to race again. I started him in barrels about a 3 years ago but he got hurt again so I didn't run him. But now I'm starting to run him again, what I did was do some slow pattern work so they start to remember it. then I started hauling him to shows so he could get back into that habit and now he is back and running. It takes time and patience to bring a horse back but eventually they get back into the habit. They ll need slow work to start or atleast that's just how I restart mine. Good luck with your mare
Posted via Mobile Device

Waybueno 08-18-2010 11:56 AM

If the vet said not to do it I wouldn't do it. racer7335 just proved my point. Your asking and or taking the chance for your horse to get hurt again. What if something more serious happens this time how are you gonna feel about yourself knowing there was a risk something bad would happen. I just wouldnt do it, even if she has been galloping in a pasture fine thats alot diffrent than gallop then turn, those turns are hard on their legs. If barrel racing is that important to you then get another horse. Dont risk seriously injuring this one.

Waybueno 08-18-2010 01:40 PM

Im not trying to be a downer or a "B" word im just saying is it really worth the risk. A horse with a weak leg barrel racing is asking for an accident.

KcFinancialBurn 08-18-2010 01:41 PM

oh I agree! thanks for helpin me out

BarrelRacer86 08-18-2010 03:33 PM

an abcess in the hoof?

KcFinancialBurn 08-18-2010 04:18 PM

umm it popped out in the middle of her hoof