The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Belly Button? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/belly-button-6264/)

Equina 02-22-2008 05:49 AM

Belly Button?

Ok, this is kind of silly, but do horse's have belly buttons?

It was a very sunny day today and I was grooming my boy and noticed what looked like a belly button. It's just in front of his sheath area and it kind of looks like scrunched up scar tissue. It's a little bit of an outie too. :D A little bit further forward, all his belly hair cowlicks into one central spot...or is his belly button under there?

mell 02-22-2008 06:12 AM

yeh my horse has that to:) im pretty sure its a belly button, why wouldn't they have belly buttons:)

Delregans Way 02-22-2008 06:15 AM

Well ofcourse horses have belly buttons cause they have imbilical (spelling) cord when they were inside their mummy. And when you feel it, it is a sort of a lump. hehe so cool :D

JustDressageIt 02-22-2008 12:27 PM

Delregans Way has it right :) Horses are sustained inside their dams just like we are - with umbillical cords... that gets severed when they're born, and it shrivels up to make a lump on their bellies - probably right in front of your horse's sheath, like you mentioned :)

buckaroo2010 02-22-2008 09:17 PM

yeah lol but u cant see my horses his belly is too fuzzy :lol:

Equina 02-23-2008 12:43 AM

I guess I knew that horses would have belly buttons. It just kind of shocked me to have it stare me down while I was grooming. I never noticed it before. I don't like outies. :P

When a foal is born, does the umbilical cord break naturally or is it cut like a human?

FGRanch 02-23-2008 11:33 AM

It usually breaks naturally unless there is a concern. We had to cut out of our foals because the mare was to weak to take care of anything that was going on.