The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Could she barrel race?? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/could-she-barrel-race-62661/)

WHISKEY4EVER93 08-18-2010 05:06 PM

Could she barrel race??

I HAVE A 14HH PONY THAT I USE FOR THE JUMPERS AND OPEN SHOWS... WE RAN BARRELS AND POLES AT THE FAIR AND OUR TIMES WE PRETTY GOOD FOR NO PRACTIE... THE 2ND TIME I RAN POLES WE RAN A 24...AND MY BARREL TIME WAS A 20 I THNK... THIS IS WITHOUT ANY WORK AT HOME... MY BOYFRIEND SAID I NEED SOMETHING WITH A LONGER STRIDE... THESE TIMES WERE RAN WITHOUT ANY WHIPS OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT... SHE LOVES TO RUN! I WILL POST A PIX... THESE PIX ARE FROM A HALLOWEEN SHOW... THEY ARE FROM DASH FRO CASH...
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs051...._3452129_n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs071...._3999065_n.jpg

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!!! BE HONEST! I WONT CRY!

barrelracer7335 08-18-2010 07:43 PM

I can't say should wouldn't be good because she is a pony since I still run my very first pony and he does wonderful. But she will need LOADS of work before she is able to run with the big horses(if you know what i mean). I do think every horse has the potential to run barrels, the worst thing that could happen is your horse doesn't win.

lilruffian 08-18-2010 08:12 PM

I owned a 13.3hh welshXQH mare for a couple of years. Her owners had trained her through 4H & competed in their groups on barrels with her. I got her as a trail horse (i bought her when she was 14) & had 2 foals out of her before selling her this spring. The family that bought her are huge into gymkhanna & rodeo & both daughters are in 4H. They purchased Ebony for their 8-year-old & she loves her lol. She's running barrels, poles, keyhole, etc on her & i guess she even came in 2nd at their last event & she's 18! Still pretty good for a tiny, old gal ;)
(Your pony is ADORABLE btw ;)

BarrelRacer86 08-18-2010 10:58 PM

I had a 13 hh pony that always won the 3rd division in youth class with me at shows when I was 6-8. That was with a rider that didn't really push him. and 3D isn't far from the winning time, means he outran alot of horses and older kids. In western 14 hands is a horse, There's alot of little barrel horses that do very well. that being said she'll need to have near perfect turns because her stride isn't as big as the 16 hh horses running. but its possiable.

corinowalk 08-18-2010 11:46 PM

To me, in gaming anyways, quick is much more important than fast. My last horse was 14.2 and could blow the doors off of a ton of the bigger horses. He had a very fast motion and could turn tighter than the big old 16 handers. Im not saying your horse is going to take a show by storm but if she makes neat, tight turns, recovers well and really stretches out in the home-run...you should be able to compete with bigger horses.

angelsgrace 08-19-2010 03:57 AM

I have a friend with a mini that could beat a lot of horses in barrels if your horse ok turns and loves to run barrels are perfect for you

TurnNBurn625 08-20-2010 07:29 PM

just bout any horse can barrel race. i trained a level 2 dressage horse to barrel race. she def. loves it. i just started a 14hh qh to barrel. she is taking to the barrels great. once i get her direction more down pat. she dosent have that long of a stride either. she does just fine. if i were you i would def train her to barrel race. im sure she could do it.

MeganAndPastick 08-20-2010 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsgrace (Post 723605)
I have a friend with a mini that could beat a lot of horses in barrels if your horse ok turns and loves to run barrels are perfect for you

Why would u even think about riding a mini? Let alone doing speed with it?:?:shock:

Rodeo Pro 08-23-2010 12:42 PM

Yes she could be a good barrel racer!! At alot of barrel races I go to the ponies have the fastest runs (including my pony) they may not have the long strides but they have ALOT better turns than the other horses!! And that makes up alot of time! As far as the stride goes part of it is based on length of legs but most of it depends on the angle of the shoulder the steeper the angle the longer the strides. Short strides could also just be that your horse is not extending its legs all the way. To fix that you could massage the shoulders and hind quarters, a half hour before a barrel race long trot for 15 minutes then walk until 3 people before your turn, and stretch her legs when you are done long trotting.
Hope this helps!!

Rodeo Pro 08-24-2010 07:30 PM

I'm sorry I just read my post and realized I made a mistake. :oops: The more of an angle the shorter stride and the more off balance the horse is, you want a horse with more of a sloping shoulder.:D