The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Would you sell him, keep him or geld him? NEED OPINONS QUICK (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/would-you-sell-him-keep-him-62671/)

barrelracer7335 08-18-2010 08:50 PM

Would you sell him, keep him or geld him? NEED OPINONS QUICK

I have a 6 year old buckskin stud that is fully trained roping (head and heel)and is running 3D barrels. He has the potential to be a top barrel horse but I have alot of horses that need to be worked out every day and I just don't seem to have the time for him. Its also very hard for me to haul him because he is a stud and I haul 3 or 4 mares and a few geldings that don't like him. He is worth alot more then I paid for him but I do t think I'll be able to get it. He had great breeding and has breed some nice foals but I just don't know if I should keep him.

What would you do?

PaintedFury 08-18-2010 09:08 PM

A nice stud makes a great gelding. If you're convinced that he could be a top barrel horse, geld him and finish his training. If you can't make the time to train him sell and and recoup your money.

lilruffian 08-18-2010 09:18 PM

Personally, id geld him as iv found alot more people who want competition horses or horses just for riding & maybe some competition on the side prefer geldings as it's easier to have them around mares & they stay more focused (at our gymkhana group we're actually not allowed to bring stallions).
If you were to keep him, id geld him as well.
Only if you wanted to sell him as a stud would i not geld, & then you're only open to a small market of prospective buyers (those who are willing to own & train a stud).

barrelracer7335 08-18-2010 09:24 PM

Well i actually know alot of people that would love to own him. He doesn't act "studdish" around mares. I only run on PRCA, NBHA and OKHSRA and they dont care if we bring along studs. I would love to keep him but like i said i dont have time and the horses dont train themselves.

BarrelRacer86 08-18-2010 11:52 PM

If you don't have time for him, you have to ask yourself if he's really worth keeping? You only have time for so many horses and him being a stud just makes it harder. I'd sell him as a stud. But if you want to keep him I'd think about gelding him.

corinowalk 08-18-2010 11:58 PM

I would sell with the option to geld for the right person. If you are overbooked for time, selling is the best option.